Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameron Highlanders sporran - wise counsel sought. (S/3269 Pte F. Stocks 4 CAMERONS)

TullochArd

Items abound purporting to be "WW1" but I'm pretty sure I have hit it right with this recent purchase from a Leeds charity shop.  It looks, feels and smells right and is named to a WW1 soldier S/3269 Pte F(red) Stocks 4 CAMERONS (15 Star) who survived the War as S/25487 1 CAMERONS (BWM, BVM). 

Two things:  

• The sporran is totally devoid of any of the usual makers stamps.  I've never seen this before ...... has anyone else?
  • The smooth exterior of the sporran flap is now crumbling.  I am keen to stabilise the flap to prevent some future catastrophic damage.  I would appreciate any suggestions bearing in mind the item is nice ....... but hardly a National treasure!

Thanks in advance.  T.A.  

FOOTNOTE (added 29 Aug 2023): GWF chum Patrick Watt who is the author of, the definitive work on 4 CAMERONS in the Great War, "Steel and Tartan" has kindly provided the following info which is attached for completeness "........ I know he left England on 3 August 1915, arrived at the Infantry Base Depot on 6 August and joined the 4th Camerons on 10 August at Busnettes.  He was part of a draft of 55 men conducted to France by Lieutenant William Mackay.  I have a digital copy of the Battalion Roll Book and it shows that Private Stocks was sent back to the UK on 31 December 1915, so missed being sent to the Entrenching Battalion in March 1916.  Rather he would have been back to probably the 3/4th Camerons in Yorkshire before being given his new service number and later sent to France."  

QOCH 1.jpg

QOCH 2.jpg

Edited by TullochArd
FOOTNOTE (added 29 Aug 2023): ........

Before 1916 the Territorial Force County Associations purchased their own clothing and equipment via direct contracts (as did the Volunteer Force before them).  In some, but not all cases the patterns used deviated from those strictly stipulated for the regular army in order to meet lineal traditions.  Likewise the markings, sizes, contract stamps etc were not mandated with the same obligation to meet the demands of War Office purchase.  As a result I’ve seen kit and equipment provided for the Territorials without markings just as with your example.  In 1916, with the advent of the Military Service Act the War Office took over responsibility for the supply of TF units. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

49 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Before 1916 the Territorial Force County Associations purchased their own clothing and equipment via direct contracts (as did the Volunteer Force before them). 

That explains it perfectly.  Many thanks Frogsmile.

3 hours ago, TullochArd said:

Items abound purporting to be "WW1" but I'm pretty sure I have hit it right with this recent purchase from a Leeds charity shop.  It looks, feels and smells right and is named to a WW1 soldier S/3269 Pte F(red) Stocks 4 CAMERONS (15 Star) who survived the War as S/25487 1 CAMERONS (BWM, BVM). 

• The smooth exterior of the sporran flap is now crumbling.  I am keen to stabilise the flap to prevent some future catastrophic damage.  I would appreciate any suggestions bearing in mind the item is nice ....... but hardly a National treasure!

Thanks in advance.  T.A.  

Saddle soap is pretty effective

2 hours ago, 6RRF said:

Saddle soap is pretty effective

Many thanks 6RRF.  I shall give that a go.  I also see you made a comment several years ago "4th Camerons were a Territorial battalion and went to war in 1914 as part of the 51st [Highland] Division, but were disbanded in 1916 and the surviving personnel drafted [transferred] into 1st Camerons" which fits 100% with what Frogsmile has said and also ties in with the existing evidence in the MIC/Medal Roll.  

I have an example in my collection that seems identical to yours with provenance to the 4th Camerons. It also has no maker markings on the back of the purse.

6 hours ago, gordon92 said:

I have an example in my collection that seems identical to yours with provenance to the 4th Camerons. It also has no maker markings on the back of the purse.

Thanks gordon92. That's good to know.

• TullochArd changed the title to Cameron Highlanders sporran - wise counsel sought. (S/3269 Pte F. Stocks 4 CAMERONS)