Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

question on Indian Mule Corps

Pieter

Hi All,I am interested in the activities of the Indian Mule Corps during WWI, and recently bought a 1914 Star to 1582 DVR MOHD. ZAMAN. 11/MULE CORPS. I tried to find more information on the activities of the 11th Mule Corps in France during the period Aug-Nov 1914, but was not sussessful. So if anyone has any information, I will be grateful.

Best regards, Pieter

s-l1600.jpg

Hello Michael,

thank you for your tip. Fortunately, I have the book of Maitland Alexander , as well as some 1914-'15 Stars to Indian drivers of the 9th Mule Corps that he commanded. Although Alexander originally landed in France in September 1914 with the 9th, together with the 30th Mule Corps, in his book no mention is made of the 11th Mule Corps. Another book Die in battle, do not despair, by Peter Stanley, is about the Indian troops in Gallipoli. It mentions the actions of the 9th and 33d Mule Corps.

Anyway, hope to find more information on the 11th Mule Corps in France, sooner or later.

Regards, Pieter

Hi Charlie,

thank you so much for this valuable information! Like you write, the 11th Mule Corps must have been active in the front area. And Bruce must have been one of the British coordinators at the 11th Mule Corps. I am a subscriber of the National Archives, so will try to find some more information on the activities of the 11th Mule Corps in the war diaries, although I must admit that they are sometimes very difficult to read.

Again, thanks and best regards, 

Pieter