Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What did the Liddell sisters do at Netley?

rolt968

I have been holding on to these two as potential candidates for the Who Is This thread but my curiosity to know more has got the better of me.

Rhoda Caroline Anne Liddell and Violet Constance Liddell (sisters of Alice Pleasance Liddell) were appointed MBE in 1920 for their orthopaedic work at Netley Hospital.

Can anyone say what kind of work they did?

RM

Edited by rolt968

22 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Alice Pleasance Liddell

Alice in Wonderland! What a connection. I'll see if I can find out anything.

Edited by seaJane

22 hours ago, rolt968 said:

I have been holding on to these two as potential candidates for the Who Is This thread but my curiosity to know more has got the better of me.

Rhoda Caroline Anne Liddell and Violet Constance Liddell (sisters of Alice Pleasance Liddell) were appointed MBE in 1920 for their orthopaedic work at Netley Hospital.

Can anyone say what kind of work they did?

RM

Hi MB.

This article from the 'Westerham Herald' 17th December 1927 refers to Violet Constance Liddell on her death and records her war time work. it appears Violet was in charge of the Orthopaedic Hut at Netley. 

I will pm you the whole article ...

Gunner 87

7468B97F-1175-4589-B4A3-80E2B95AD61C_4_5005_c.jpeg

On 10/08/2023 at 14:08, Gunner 87 said:

Hi MB.

This article from the 'Westerham Herald' 17th December 1927 refers to Violet Constance Liddell on her death and records her war time work. it appears Violet was in charge of the Orthopaedic Hut at Netley. 

I will pm you the whole article ...

Gunner 87

7468B97F-1175-4589-B4A3-80E2B95AD61C_4_5005_c.jpeg

Thank you very much. I wonder if they are listed on anyof the WW1 nursing websites.

RM

On 10/08/2023 at 14:04, seaJane said:

Alice in Wonderland! What a connection. I'll see if I can find out anything.

There are other connections. Since I can't now put them on Who Is This, I will give away a couple of my clues.

They are/were related to our present king. (I'm not quite sure of the right tense.) One of their paternal great grandfathers was the 8th Earl of Strathmore.

They are connected to a famous dictionary. Their father was the co-author/editor of Liddell and Scott's (Classical) Greek Lexicon which is still in use.

RM