Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr Elizabeth O'Driscoll 19th General Hospital, Alexandria

Lauramck

Hello,

I wonder if anyone might have any information on Elizabeth Josephine O'Driscoll, a doctor, attached to the RAMC at the 19th General Hospital, Alexandria from 1918. She was from Cork, born in Queenstown (now Cobh). She Qualified in 1917. She is recorded in the 1920 Medical Register as still attached RAMC, 19th Gen Hosp, Alexandria. She later worked in Kuching Sarawak as a medical officer and married Reginald Edward Le Sueur in 1923. She received an OBE in 1948. 

I am particularly interested in her years with the RAMC in Alex so would be grateful for any information.

Many thanks,

Laura

• 3 months later...

I presume you have seen her Medal Card (available as a free download from TNA Kew) which gives her precise date of entry into the Egyptian Expeditionary Force as 19 May 1918.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2023 at 21:55, Lauramck said:

attached to the RAMC at the 19th General Hospital, Alexandria 

p.378 here https://archive.org/details/medicalservicesg03macp/page/378/mode/2up?view=theater - No.19 General Hospital arrived in Alexandria at the beginning of June 1915 and was established in what had previously been the Deaconesses Hospital

image.png.cedd993bcf91c0b47f4b911a0e1d06

you'll find some more information and leads on the 19th General Hospital here

• 1 month later...
On 29/11/2023 at 16:55, seaJane said:

I presume you have seen her Medal Card (available as a free download from TNA Kew) which gives her precise date of entry into the Egyptian Expeditionary Force as 19 May 1918.

Thank you, 

Yes, I have her medal card alright. I would love to see a photograph of her but cannot seem to locate one. In WW2 she was interned as a POW in a Japanese camp in Borneo (Sarawak) between 1942 and 1945 (as Dr Josephine Le Sueur). She died in 1968. 

Thank you for your interest,

Laura

On 09/12/2023 at 08:57, michaeldr said:

p.378 here https://archive.org/details/medicalservicesg03macp/page/378/mode/2up?view=theater - No.19 General Hospital arrived in Alexandria at the beginning of June 1915 and was established in what had previously been the Deaconesses Hospital

image.png.cedd993bcf91c0b47f4b911a0e1d06

you'll find some more information and leads on the 19th General Hospital here

Thanks you,

This image and link is much appreciated.

All the best,

Laura