Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IFCP Memorial Plaque query

museumtom

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I had a query please guys and gals. There are thousands of soldiers, sailors etc added to the C.W.G.C. through I.F.C.P. Would they be entitled to a death plaque also?

Edited by museumtom

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I had a query please guys and gals. There are thousands of soldiers, sailors etc added to the C.W.G.C. through I.F.C.P. Would they be entitled to a death plaque also?

To be honest, I don’t know.  

Have you asked the IFCP 

I suspect the answer , should be yes, but probably will be no on the basis of, after 100 years there may be none of the original nok , and probably most of their nok. who no one knows as no paperwork to confirm due to many changes in foreign lands. presumably, as no monetary value, I cant see that many kin queuing up to collect their plaques.

ahh ebay!! opening up an opportunity to sell a few , I wonder if all those Terry posts from IFCP received their medals as that would give some traceability for plaque seekers.

8 hours ago, chaz said:

opening up an opportunity to sell a few

Sadly, if web comment is to believed [though that's always potentially dodgy!], there seem to be a few 'recycled' originals with the original cast & upstanding recipient's name ground off and/or a new name added by engraving floating around and up for grabs = So sad.

I believe acknowledged replicas are left smooth for engraving/are engraved [something which was not done on originals]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

On 06/08/2023 at 18:17, 303man said:

PFQ_9412.JPG

PFQ_9413.JPG

Thanks for posting - just wondering if you have another page(s) which seemingly would further cover 5 (iv) Cases of no relatives etc. ??

In hope.

M

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Sadly, if web comment is to believed [though that's always potentially dodgy!], there seem to be a few 'recycled' originals with the original cast & upstanding recipient's name ground off and/or a new name added by engraving floating around and up for grabs = So sad.

I believe acknowledged replicas are left smooth for engraving/are engraved [something which was not done on originals]...

Some original late issue plaques were done with engraved names - New Zealand in particular made use of defective plaques with the original 3-D naming chiseled off and replaced with engraved naming after all-new production ceased: 

8 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Some original late issue plaques were done with engraved names - New Zealand in particular made use of defective plaques with the original 3-D naming chiseled off and replaced with engraved naming after all-new production ceased: 

OK, I acknowledge I made a gross generalisation which was incorrect about a relatively few originals - good that you have better qualified the situation. :thumbsup:

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Don't shout too loudly about chiselling and re naming or the ebay vultures will be buying plaques up to rename.

7 minutes ago, chaz said:

Don't shout too loudly about chiselling and re naming or the ebay vultures will be buying plaques up to rename.

Sadly I think that ship has already sailed! :(

Probably/hopefully better to warn others to exercise caution if an engraved plaque is encountered.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add