Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Temporary cemetery

battle of loos

Good evening

I allow myself to open this subject because I am looking for documents and photos if it exists about temporary cemeteries on the sector of Loos.

Does CWGC have this kind of information during the regrouping of bodies before the constitution of cemeteries that we know as the Dud Corner & Loos British Cemetery.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

michel

• Admin

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/62300/loos-british-cemetery/

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/58700/dud-corner-cemetery-loos/

The CWGC website gives the information of some of the cemeteries concentrated in. In the good old days the registers used to show maps of adjacent cemeteries and in a few cases, cemeteries that were no longer there, having been concentrated into other cemeteries. 

good morning Michelle

thank's for your answer.

BARTS ALLEY CEMETERY, VERMELLES, about 1 kilometre North-East of the village, named from a communication trench in which a Dressing Station was established. It contained the graves of 38 soldiers from the United Kingdom, who fell, for the most part, in the Battle of Loos.

LOOS (FORT GLATZ) GERMAN CEMETERY, named from a German strong point at the North-West corner of the village, and containing the graves of three soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in the summer of 1915.

CORKSCREW CEMETERY, LOOS, which was close to the mine known as Fosse II. It contained the graves of 168 soldiers from the United Kingdom and 38 from Canada.

TOSH CEMETERY, LOOS, was on the North side of the village, close to the communication trench called Tosh Alley. It contained the graves of 171 soldiers from the United Kingdom (118 of whom were Irish) and five from Canada. It was used from October 1915 to September 1917.

CRUCIFIX CEMETERY, LOOS, was a little West of Tosh Cemetery. It was used from September 1915 to May 1916, and it contained the graves of 53 soldiers from the United Kingdom.

LE RUTOIRE BRITISH CEMETERY, VERMELLES, was close to Le Rutoire Farm, which is on Loos Plain, near the village of Vermelles. It was used in 1915, and contained the graves of 82 soldiers from the United Kingdom and six French soldiers.

I have extracted from the CWGC website the temporary cemetery that interests me.

I can't find any trace of these on the maps I own.

regards

michel

• Admin

Michel, I do have this information, but it may take a while to sort out. Bear with me. 

• Admin

PM sent 

2 hours ago, battle of loos said:

I can't find any trace of these on the maps I own.

Michel, all of this information is on TrenchMapper and we have tried to publicise this resource, all run by volunteers, for over 18 months with little success.  The original paper maps of the so-called Body Density series was scanned by our team 15 years ago and georeferenced late last year.  It is free * to use and has what I think you seek.  * WFA members get free downloads and extra high resolution.

Click to enlarge and the web site has an opacity slider to view modern satellite imagery beneath.

Name: Douai, La Bassee, Lens
Sheet: 36C
Scale: 1:40,000. Edition: 6 1916
Annotated with disinternments and cemeteries. Marked AAM on reverse. From Messer collection.
Id: m_5_000759

image.png.b2fd9c251ac4a05b4fd3d95de8093183.png

Good evening
perfect
Many thanks for your answers.

michel

Cropped sheet 36c from the Body Density series available via TrenchMapper mentioned above

Looscemeterymap.jpg.86fcb9879e7788ccc2c298fde4e73281.jpg

36c.GLooscemeterymap.jpg.8e9c939cf0d7bca38a7332e5ec516421.jpg

The following coordinates are listed in the the original IWGC publication 'List of cemeteries in France & Belgium' - let me know if you need more cemeteries

Barts Alley Cemetery, near Vermelles                                    36c.G.3.c.5.5

Fort Glatz Cemetery, Loos                                                     36c.G.29.c.9.3

Corkscrew British Cemetery, Lievin                                       36c.M.11.a.3.3

Tosh Cemetery, Loos                                                             36c.G.30.c.50.25

Crucifix Cemetery, Loos                                                        36c.G.29.d.6.1

Le Rutoire British Cemetery, near Vermelles                        36c.G.15.b.7.1