Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4 Hampshires at Kut and after

pudsey63

I’m currently looking into the Company of 1/4 Hampshire men who were at the siege of Kut. To avoid reinventing the wheel, can anyone point me in the direction of previous research? I’ve got good access to the Hampshire Regimental Museum, and local newspapers but would rather know if I’m going over well-trodden ground before I get in too deep. 

TIA

Hampshire museum have excellent documentation including the diaries of RSM Leach. 

Is there a particular man you are researching?

Charlie 

Thanks for the link Charlie. No particular men as such. I found our local lost boy (William Clapp aged 15) thanks to the Leach diary and Mrs Bowker’s lists. He died somewhere in the Syrian desert. I’m now trying to create a spreadsheet of them all from a local interest point of view and see where it takes me. RSM Leach certainly kept a remarkable record. 

1 minute ago, pudsey63 said:

I’m now trying to create a spreadsheet

I did such an exercise a while back. Started with Leach's list, compared it to Wheeler and to various casualty lists etc and came up with a few queries, particularly amongst attached/detached men. I'll refresh my memory later!

Leach, as you know, died in captivity so whilst it gives us a remarkably detailed primary resource, it stops upon his death! I've done a fair bit of work on subsequent fates of the individual men, but lots of gaps...

Maybe if I forge ahead we can compare notes at some point. I expect I’ve got a great deal of catching up to do but it keeps me out of trouble. I fell down the Mespot rabbit hole when I started researching Lt Col Gerard Leachman and it just keeps getting wider. 

On 06/08/2023 at 15:02, pudsey63 said:

Maybe if I forge ahead we can compare notes at some point. I expect I’ve got a great deal of catching up to do but it keeps me out of trouble. I fell down the Mespot rabbit hole when I started researching Lt Col Gerard Leachman and it just keeps getting wider. 

I'll happily copy you my spreadsheet if it helps? May take a few days but send me an email address by pm if you would like it.

Charlie 

Thank you. I’d really like to see it. PM on the way.