Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books about the organization of German and French armies in august 1914 (Help needed)

Geggi

I am seeking books that delve into the structure of the German and French armies in August 1914. I am particularly interested in comprehensive insights into the different units and their respective placements. Additionally, I would appreciate an overview of troop numbers, equipment, and related details. I am specifically looking for reputable encyclopedic sources and references. While much of this information might be accessible online, I have a preference for perusing through physical books. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

On 05/08/2023 at 16:28, Geggi said:

I am seeking books that delve into the structure of the German and French armies in August 1914. I am particularly interested in comprehensive insights into the different units and their respective placements. Additionally, I would appreciate an overview of troop numbers, equipment, and related details. I am specifically looking for reputable encyclopedic sources and references. While much of this information might be accessible online, I have a preference for perusing through physical books. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

I cannot advise on the French side, but this volume will answer a lot of your German questions (and includes a full order of battle at mobilisation):
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/imperial-german-army-1914-18-organisation-structure-orders-of-battle-2.php

If you are interested in numbers and can understand German, the tables at the end of the supplements (Anlagen) volume of „Der Weltkrieg 1914-18 - Kriegsrüstung und Kriegswirtschaft“ (part of the German official history) should be of interest. The tables record the peace time and war establishments of the German Army during various years between 1875 and the outbreak of war in 1914. Attached are a couple of examples.

Charlie

IMG_4922.jpeg

IMG_4923.jpeg