Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this an army-issue trenchcoat ?

Simon Cains

Sorry one more question about this photo which has been much discussed on the GWF.  I wondered if this is an ex-army trenchcoat ?  Obviously the photo is soon after the war when there would have been a lot of ex-army clothes available.   Were our troops issued with this kind of waterproof coat ?  Obviously we call them trench coats now.   

It is my great-grandfather's sister Ethel at his grave.   http://www.cains.myzen.co.uk/simeon daly.htm    She may already have been living in France at this time.  Were the French soldiers issued with these type of coats, perhaps it was french ex-army ?   I assume there is a rolled-up hood under her chin.    We had it colourised, but obviously guessing the colour.    Thanks very much. 

ethel from tiff.png

ethel colourised best.jpg

With the buttons being of the opposite side (unless the original negative has been flipped) I'd say it's a female's foul weather coat.

OK yes, sorry I was being a bit too imaginative there ...

It looks like a female version of a proprietary Mackintosh (rubber lined cotton) overcoat.  I can’t work out what is tucked under her chin but it’s not a part of the coat.  It appears to have a shiny rubber cover, whatever it is.  I think it’s very likely to be a folded sou’wester hat as per the adverts below.  The latter was very suitable for protecting a lady’s hair and easily folded and secured with its under-the-chin cord adjuster.

IMG_9045.jpeg

IMG_9046.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE