Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer Medals

naught91

Based on threads on this forum, it looks like First World War medals can still be applied for if you can prove they were incorrectly delivered and returned to the medal office. I believe you would need to supply the correct medal rolls indicating that this had happened?

My question is, can First World War Officer campaign medals still be applied for if they were never applied for in the first place?

• Admin
2 hours ago, naught91 said:

Based on threads on this forum, it looks like First World War medals can still be applied for if you can prove they were incorrectly delivered and returned to the medal office. I believe you would need to supply the correct medal rolls indicating that this had happened?

My question is, can First World War Officer campaign medals still be applied for if they were never applied for in the first place?

My experience with that scenario (admittedly Merchant Marine) was that they cannot be applied for now. However, never say never, all it takes is some research and an application (which is free).

Thank you for the advice. 

I have completed the research and do know the officer in question served in France from October 1915.

Strangely, he doesn't have a Medal Index Card, though I believe this is due to him never applying for the medals.

Check slight differences in spelling, the transcribers have been known to be wrong, also alias'

I was able to recently apply for the BWM and VM for my Trooper Great Uncle.  Both were issued and returned as per the usual process in the early 1920s and evidenced in the MIC and medal rolI. I am unsure of the  process regarding un applied for officers medals.  However, they were of course never issued to the recipient despite being earned, so the principle may well be the same.  I would suggest you apply with the evidence you have and a polite letter.  I presume you’re the NoK?

No harm in trying.

and to add i suspect there is a MIC and roll out there somewhere for him. 

Edited by AndrewSid