Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Query about War Pensions

NeuvilleLass

Could anyone help me with a pension query or point me in the direction of info? Who could make a request to be a beneficiary and how long was this paid? I also have a little puzzle with a record found below (image from Fold3). Was the man listed at the top of the record requesting the pension be directed to him as he was now the stepfather or was he giving the child his own military pension as a beneficiary? Thanks everyone.

image.png.6325479512e071d62311a606e4549be8.png

On 04/08/2023 at 11:11, NeuvilleLass said:

Who could make a request to be a beneficiary and how long was this paid?

Typically a wife/widow [or an unmarried wife] would make a claim for herself and for any child(ren) - widow would typically be paid for life* or until she remarried [in which case she would get a one-off remarriage bounty of one or two year's pension], Child(ren) allowance(s) would usually be paid to her until they reached 16.

* Early in the war a widow could lose her grace & favour pension at the whim of the Minister of Pensions if she became considered 'unworthy' though some actual or perceived unacceptable behaviour. Sometimes the pension could be reinstated.  Later the grant of a pension became a right.

Alternatively a parent or other relative of a single man could make a claim - these would commonly be for life, typically for a man's mother and this pension could transfer to her husband/his father if she died. Siblings and auntes etc could claim but would have to show a level of prior dependance.  For a child(ren)'s guardian(s), individual or institutional, these would again paid be until they reached 16.

On 04/08/2023 at 11:11, NeuvilleLass said:

I also have a little puzzle with a record found below (image from Fold3). Was the man listed at the top of the record requesting the pension be directed to him as he was now the stepfather or was he giving the child his own military pension as a beneficiary?

image.png.6325479512e071d62311a606e4549be8.png

There is no other pension claim record for William ROBSON, 65204, Northumberland Fusiliers = he is awarded pension by the IOW {Issue Office Widows'] for Lawrence HODGSON as his stepchild/son of the late Joseph HODGSON, 16164, Yorkshire Regt

There is another pension index card showing Jane Elizabeth HODGSON. b. 13.5.88, claiming for herself and Laurence - the 18/9 pw from 17.12.17 she received was 13/9 for herself and 5/- pw for Laurence [assuming he lived the latter payment would continue to be paid for him until he reached reaching 16 on 6.10.30] - Separation Allowance would have been paid from Joseph HODGSON's death to pension payment. We can also see from this other card the claim became DEAD by 2/1/31.

From FreeBND this seems likely to have been the remarriage.

Marriages Sep 1919   (>99%)

HODGSON  Elizabeth J  Robson  Durham  10a 1029   
Robson  William  Hodgson  Durham  10a 1029

That we cannot again see Jane Elizabeth HODSON/ROBSON at WFA/Fold3 leaves a further puzzle for me - had she perhaps died or ?? 

You have her date of birth now so I will leave with you - wishing you good luck.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

@Matlock1418 that's really helpful information thank you for taking the time to explain it so clearly.