Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs of Prisoners of War

midletonman2001

I have mentioned in other posts that I have pictures of my Grandfather as a POW in Geissen (one of the pictures has a Geissen stamp on the back – I did not realise that it was the name of the camp till I found it mentioned on the internet!) and that other soldiers appear in these pictures with him.

I have no idea who they are, if they served with him or if simple chance put them together.

It would be nice to know but it occurs to me that others may be interested because they may be able to identify relations/soldiers they are interested in perhaps because they have their medals etc.

If forum members are interested I will dig them out - they are stored away in the dark in a special photo album - and scan them in and post them to the forum. They will all need to be cleaned up but if people are interested I will set to work on them.

One picture has over twenty men in it if I recall (including my Grandfather).

hi mate

i have no special interest in POWs but I'd love to see the pictures

chris

• 1 month later...

hi,

I note that there has been no further activity on this thread. Are you in a position to post the pictures yet, midletonman ? I'm sure many people on the Forum would be interested in seeing them. Who was your Grandfather serving with when he was captured?

Steve

• 1 month later...

I did post the first picture under: another thread

Photographs of Prisoners of War, Are they your people?

But there did not seem to be any interest.

Obviously it was a mistake not to keep it on the original thread?

midletonman said:
I did post the first picture under: another thread

Photographs of Prisoners of War, Are they your people?

But there did not seem to be any interest.

Obviously it was a mistake not to keep it on the original thread?

I think it waS, MIdleton - I was looking ofr the photos here and missed that one!

Marina

• 1 month later...

Hello,

are you absolutely sure that the name of the POW camp was "GEISSEN" and not probably " G i e s s e n " ?

I ask, because I didn't find a place called "Geissen" on german traffic maps and local registers.

I think, the story is about GIESSEN and indeed there was a well known POW camp during WW1.

If you are interested in pics of the camp, let me know. In case if I shall place them right here.

Malte Znaniecki