Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mobile pigeon lofts

asdarley

Having just finished some work on the British Army mobile pigeon lofts I have seen references to the Brassards worn by member of the British Army Carrier Pigeon Service. Does anyone know where I might find an illustration of the Brassard?   It would make a useful addition to my work.

4 hours ago, asdarley said:

Having just finished some work on the British Army mobile pigeon lofts I have seen references to the Brassards worn by member of the British Army Carrier Pigeon Service. Does anyone know where I might find an illustration of the Brassard?   It would make a useful addition to my work.

That would be the white-over-blue arm band worn on the right arm by various signal related troops, eg:

Royal Corps of Signals | Military Sun Helmets

British Army Carrier Pigeons in France: Horse-Drawn Lofts', (1919).  Creator: Unknown Stock Photo - Alamy

British Army Carrier Pigeons in France: Horse-Drawn Lofts', (1919).  Creator: Unknown Stock Photo - Alamy

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thanks for the picture. Just what I was looking for!

Hello,

There is a website which can be accessed at https://pigeons-of-war.com. Perhaps the author might know something? He also has a twitter account Military Pigeons @MilitaryPigeons which is worth a follow. The role of the Pigeon in war is a fascinating subject. During the covid lockdown, when I was still with the Army Reserve, we all were expected to present lessons on Zoom, both for continuing military training, and also military history. "War Pigeon" was the subject of my choice. It was the only topic that was talked about right until my time expired back in February. I am now training to be an Army Cadet instructor. I am certain that War Pigeon will emerge again!

Owain.