Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serre Road farmer

chaz

We passed by last week but the  heavens were just having a good clear out!!

Any news on the troublesome farmer? When passing there were 2 or 3 vans outside his house. I suspect builders or decorators. SWMBO didn't want to stop just in case.  But it has been a couple of years since reported last.

I did read about this gentleman on the Forum. Did I once have a lucky escape.

I drove from Hebuterne to Serre and parked near the farm marked Touvent. I walked south along the path shown by the dotted line to the CWGCs in the wood. I never saw anybody.

IGN 2407 O 

Brian

001.JPG

we recently stayed at Battery valley, over there it was common knowledge there had been bad feelings between him and visitors, we were assured there would be no problems the pther side.

It has been suggested the Touvent route was the best to avoid any problems. there is a sort of parking area on the Serre road but looks like probably fire pump access, so best not try there.

• Admin

We parked near Touvent  in May and walked along the track near Ferme Bauwin to the cemeteries, then back up the track past the little wood which marks the old Touvent Farm. The only thing we encountered was a free range turkey. 

IMG_0984.jpeg

IMG_0985.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Sheffield memorial park at Serre over the 1 July anniversary weekend this year from the D919 side and saw the farmer. We stopped the car for a moment in the entry to the track that leads up towards the park from the D919 near Serre Road No 1 Cemetery and the farmer came out and told us not to drive up the track itself. Fair enough (although that’s not what we were planning to do) and we parked at Serre Road No 1 instead in the usual way and walked up. That means walking right by his house though, on the road, which has a rather loud and aggressive dog that barks at everything that comes by. He then drove up and down the track apparently watching us / trying to make his presence known for the next 30 mins or so. He also engaged us in a rather strange conversation on which he insisted on trying to take our phone and made some comments about “English people” in French. In the end, it was fine, but best not to take a car anywhere near the track to Sheffield park from the D919 / Serre Road No 1 side.

Edited by George87

• 1 month later...

We cycled past the farm in May, coming from the D919 and turning into the farm track. Lots of activity in the farm yard, a younger woman waved as we went by as I said "Bonjour". 

But no problems from the farmer himself. 

I must say, I wouldn't fancy taking a car up that track, it was hard enough on our bikes that are geared up for rutted paths. 

The pathway towards Touvent Farm is a lot more pleasant. 

Andy