Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify Cap Badge please

Simon J Emmerson

Hi Folks, A recent addition to my postcard collection. Written on the reverse is 11th County of London, Battalion. My query is the centre of the badge around the bugle has gaps in line with the KRRC.  The 11th Londons cap badge has a bugle on a solid background in the centre of the cap badge. 

Regards Simon. Screenshot_20230801_174943_Gallery.jpg.a5b465a48deb5595ab056595b266b77a.jpg

20230801_172010.jpg

43 minutes ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

Hi Folks, A recent addition to my postcard collection. Written on the reverse is 11th County of London, Battalion. My query is the centre of the badge around the bugle has gaps in line with the KRRC.  The 11th Londons cap badge has a bugle on a solid background in the centre of the cap badge. 

Regards Simon. Screenshot_20230801_174943_Gallery.jpg.a5b465a48deb5595ab056595b266b77a.jpg

20230801_172010.jpg

They were made with both voided and unvoided centres.      Pete.

7 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

They were made with both voided and unvoided centres.      Pete.

Interesting Pete. Thank you for the information. 

15 minutes ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

Interesting Pete. Thank you for the information. 

It’s certainly not 11th London’s, but the three voids commonly seen on 6th London’s in addition to KRRC are clearly apparent.

Both regiments favoured scarlet felt backings, but the absence of black buttons in this case makes the KRRC a little less likely as their regular and service battalion’s generally had priority within supply chains over Territorials, who early in the war were still responsible for their own supply arrangements.

IMG_8909.jpeg

IMG_8999.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Looking closely at the badge in the opening post it does appear to be larger than the 11th Londons and the arms of the cross have more depth so I would agree it is more likely to be 6th Londons.       Pete.

Many thanks Gentlemen for your help and advice. 

26 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

As an aside he is wearing a simplified SD jacket.

Thank you 👍