Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Mary Potts

mancpal

I recently started a thread in skindles regarding a nurses cloak badge from the Princess Christians Army Nursing Service Reserve (issue #164) and with the assistance of Dave66 and ZeZe it appears Miss Potts earned a QSA for the Boer War and a 14-15 trio . 
The badge belongs to a friends family and my view is it would better retained by them though I fear they’ll sell it. I’m hoping to give them a more detailed history of her service which may change their minds.

My initial problem is I have no experience of researching nursing staff of any era so don’t know where to start looking. Secondly, I don’t have any subscriptions so if my local library doesn’t have subscriptions to relevant genealogy sites (Ancestry only I think) then I’m stuffed!

I would like to know if she also won a KSA and what she did between the two wars she served in. Again, from the help I received over in skindles she was Acting Matron aboard the Hunslet which evacuated some of the injured from Gallipoli.

I’d be grateful for any pointers or links that may assist. Thanks for reading.

Simon

Thanks David, I consider that a flying start! Am I to assume that nursing records were stored away from soldiers records thus avoiding the blitz and how complete is the archive? 
Thanks again 

Simon

Edited by mancpal
Spelled my name wrong

Simon,

According to Sue Light, PCANSR ceased to be employed in military hospitals, and recruitment ceased. Nurses were graded to see if they were suitably qualified to become members of QAIMNS. Mary Potts applied to join QAIMNS but withdrew her application on 26/02/09. [Service record pages 9&10]. By September 1914 there were still 337 names on the PCANSR Roll. Mary's service record shows her as a member of the ANSR, [service record pages 13&14] but she would have worn the uniform of the QAIMNSR.

During the Boer War Mary served with 17th Stationary Hospital, Middelburg, according to a South Africa Medal Roll dated 8th August 1901.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf,

thanks for your time in taking a look at this. In the skindles thread it was determined that PCANSR ceased to exist in 1907, I have no idea if she stayed with them until then and if not where did she work?
Does anybody know if records exist for Princess Christians’ exist anywhere and if so can I search them? 
Equally, has anybody any thoughts where to search for the ‘missing’ years? 
I’d also like to know what records exist for hospital ships (not just this persons involvement) in general. I feel a new ‘obsession’ sneaking up on me!

For members interested in the PCANSR this is the badge which set me off, for the first time (to my shame) into the world of military nursing. I’d never considered a nursing cloak badge could provide so much information and look forward to finding out more. 

71206833328__15477943-1D2E-4758-891D-43972BABAA49.jpeg

Edited by mancpal

David, 

thanks yet again. If time permits I can see myself getting hooked on the nursing aspect of WW1. 
I really hope the family keep the badge, I have few possessions relating to my families WW1 story and hate to see family items pass out of the family. Many thanks.

Simon

3 hours ago, mancpal said:

nursing aspect of WW1.

You may need to team up with @ZeZe who has been doing a huge amount of work on hospital ships (which could be under the aegis of either Army or Navy) and the nurses who staffed them.

sJ

Simon,

The following excerpts are taken from the War Diary of Maud McCarthy, transcribed by the late Sue Light and available as part of her 'Scarletfinders' website;- http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/  The diary is a great source of information.The comments below explain some of the many changes of unit by Mary Potts. She is variously described as being ANSR, QAIMNSR/ANSR and QAIMNSR. She was actually a member of QAIMNSR from 12th November 1914.

Letter from WO informing me of the arrival shortly of Sister Dixon, late Matron, Military Families’ Hospital, and Sister Potts QAIMNSR.

WO letter instructing us that Miss Potts should put in for her camp kit and outfit allowance, not drawn before leaving Home.

Acting Matron Miss … moved to 18 General as Assistant Matron. Miss Potts QAIMNS (ANSR) late Assistant Matron Hospital Ship drawing £75 per annum and doing Sister’s duties since arriving in France. Replacing her as charge of the unit.

After lunch to Isolation Section of 24 Hospital, Miss Potts ANSR, late as Matron on one of the ships, in charge, she drawing £75 per annum. Great dissatisfaction exists with the regulations owing to the fact that Reserves and TFNS get annual increment on appointments and when once promoted continue to draw the pay, no matter what their work, unless reported on unfavourably, whereas the Regulars have none of these privileges – no annual increment, or A/rank, and revert to original rank immediately they cease to act. Everything in this Hospital in first rate condition, most comfortable quarters, and a nice cinder tennis court for the Staff.

Arrived at 16 General Hospital - Arranged with Miss Willetts about leave for nurses – Miss Potts to proceed on leave at once for 14 days, and Miss Willetts after her return for 14 days.

55 CCS: Received telephone message from Miss Potts, Sister, ANSR who has recently taken over charge of 55 CCS, saying that Miss Lloyd whom she is relieving had had no orders. Repeated copy of orders to DMS 3rd Army, this unit having now been taken over by that Army.

Visited No.55 CCS: This unit took over the Camp which was pitched by No.36 CCS. It is a most comfortably arranged unit – good wards and excellent Theatre. The surgical work in the 3rd Army appeared to be concentrated at this Clearing Station. The hospital was busy at the time of visit – 4 “Teams”** working in the Theatre – about 270 patients in, chiefly battle casualties. Very good quarters for the Nursing Staff, Miss Potts, ANSR, Sister-in-Charge. Had lunch in the Sisters’ Mess.
**From this point there are frequent references in the diary to 'Teams', 'Team Duty' or 'Surgical Teams'.  These were small, specially selected groups of staff who moved from unit to unit as needed, mainly working in Casualty Clearing Stations, and providing surgical expertise in operating theatres. One 'team' comprised one surgeon, one anaesthetist, one theatre sister and one experienced theatre orderly.

3rd Army
Visited the CCS in the 3rd Army. Nos.5 and 55 CCS at Tincourt are both excellent, No.5 I thought especially good. I had the opportunity of speaking to Colonel Higgs, the CO of 55 CCS – he is entirely satisfied with the Sister in charge, Miss Potts, and I have arranged to keep him well supplied with good theatre Sisters. The staff here is entirely satisfactory and there will be no need of any changes.

Miss Jolley, ARRC, QAIMNSR: As Miss Jolley, QAIMNSR is anxious to return to England to take up her post as Matron of the Liverpool Southern Hospital and no answer has yet been received to her application to resign, telephoned to GHQ for instructions and was told she should be given 7 days’ leave pending the acceptance of her resignation. Arranged accordingly and sent Miss Potts, ANSR to 44 CCS to take over charge.

Went to No.44 CCS and found that in addition to their own staff they had the staff of No.36 CCS. Miss Wood, QAIMNS, had just arrived and Miss Potts was handing over to her.

Form there I went to Eblinghem to 2 CCS which is just established – OC Lt. Colonel Goldsmith, and Sister in charge, Miss Potts, QAIMNSR. The unit was not going too smoothly and both requested that certain members of the nursing staff should be moved. They had just opened and had only taken in their first convoy, and when the necessary changes are made, it is hoped it will be entirely satisfactory.

Left early for the 4th Army. I first visited Pernois, Nos.4 and 41 CCS, Miss Potts, ANSR and Miss Townend, QAIMNS, Sisters in charge respectively. Both these Units in the last 48 hours had passed through 3000 patients. They were then quite full of people waiting for evacuation, each had 7 visiting Teams in addition to their own 3 Teams, and the Theatre work since the beginning of the attack had been continuous night and day, Teams working for 12 hours at a stretch.

No.2 CCS. This Hospital has recently been taken over by Miss Corbishley, QAIMNS. It is established in a large school, and it is receiving only refugees, men, women and children, in large numbers, and of all ages, and suffering from all sorts of complaints. Everything possible is being done for them, the wards are well arranged and the patients look extremely comfortable, the only difficulty being the need of clothing; a certain amount has been sent by Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild, but they are badly in need of more. There was a staff of 13 at this Unit, and three French ladies had arrived that night from Arras to assist. They are accommodated in two very good houses, not far from the Hospital, and they are fortunate in having some excellent Belgian servants, as well as two batmen. I saw the OC and he expressed himself exceedingly satisfied with the present arrangements, Miss Corbishley having recently taken over because she spoke fluent French, and Miss Potts who was thus released filled her vacancy at No.58 CCS.

Resignation: Forwarded to DGMS for consideration application from Sister M. Potts, ANSR to be permitted to resign her appointment as owing to her constant change of station, she is unable to continue her work. The move to which this lady particularly alludes was made at the request of the DMS, 1st Army, when she was in charge of a Unit which was admitting large numbers of French civilians. Owing to Miss Potts limited knowledge of the French language, the DMS considered it advisable for the efficient administration of the Unit that a Sister with a fuller knowledge of French should replace her. She was therefore instructed to exchange duties with the Sister i/c of another Unit. The other moves to which she alludes were caused by the Military situation or necessitated by ill health.

Sister M. Potts, ANSR: Replied to wire from DMS, L of C asking for contract signed by Miss Potts, ANSR which had just been requested by the War Office, that Miss Potts was a member of the ANSR and it had not been understood that a renewal of contract was necessary.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks for both your replies . I’ve learned more in the last couple of days about nursing than in the previous decades.

I’m hoping to re-read her service record today so no doubt there’ll be further questions. 
I’d still like to determine what she did between Princess Christians and WW1.

I must say this has moved along quicker than I expected so thanks to all the contributors thus far.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I am making the assumption that the M. Potts who served as a nurse during the Boer War is the same as Mary Potts. Unfortunately I cannot trace her family apart from what has been included in her Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. application form, 1909: parents now both dead, father 'Gentleman' at Litherland, Liverpool.

M. Potts embarked on Saturday 02 June 1900, in Lismore Castle bound for South Africa.

QSA Medal Roll: M. Potts served at No.1 General Hospital, Wynberg (she may also have served elsewhere). Mary Potts states on her application form that she had experience of nursing Enteric Fever in South Africa and was still a member of the Army Nursing Service Reserve. 

Award of Kings South Africa Medal.

M. Potts returned to England on board the "Soudan", September 1902.

image.jpeg.aba7fd9e746aef7bd7f0c7e72a528679.jpegimage.jpeg.353bf22e5f1ddd15d766c1655e5a6174.jpeg

image.jpeg.bafc3430004ee99bc9528336b0ea8c81.jpeg

image.jpeg.53cceeb1a2fd42e33bd132c13e5df1d0.jpeg

Snippets from RCN archive, The Nursing Record / The British Journal of Nursing, 1888-1956

https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/volumes/29/Volume 29 Page 200

https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/volumes/24/Volume 24 Page 437

&

NA Queens South Africa Nurses Medal Roll, page 5.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3763993

NA Kings South Africa Nurses Medal Roll, page 220.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3764117

H.M.T. Hunslet timeline. This was completed with the help of the posting by alantwo of Basilan & Hunslet embarkation records (GWF: H.M.T.’s used as temporary Hospital Ships, Gallipoli 1915.)

image.jpeg.a2ddd30e35beecec20663a7ffa546ec9.jpeg

It appears there was a break in the service of Hunslet probably on 8th September when Lizzie Marr was transferred. The nurses were posted to a land based hospital until embarking again on the 28th September.

Two letters dated January 11th & 12th, 1916 in Mary Goldstone's file (WO 399/3173 p.6 & 7) confirm A/Matron M. Potts A.N.S.R. was still present on 'Hunslet at that date.

Interestingly in the letters 'Hunslet' is referred to as H.M.H.Carrier & H.M. Hospital Ship, the nurses were onboard for a much longer period of time than the other H.M. Transport ships which were used temporarily to carry wounded from Gallipoli. Did Hunslet ever sail with a white hull and red cross painted on the side?

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe

ZeZe, thanks so much for the above. The owner of the badge has said they can’t find a family tie though on his fathers side there were Liverpool connections.

I too have assumed that the Boer War and WW1 Miss Potts are one and the same.

If so she would have been awarded QSA, KSA, 14-15 star, BWM, VM and the Royal Red Cross (2nd class) , the latter being awarded at Buckingham Palace. Quite some service.

I noted that her next of kin was a Miss Potts living near Southport which I’ve taken to be a sibling though could be an aunt or cousin I suppose.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge. I will post again when I find out whether the family are keeping the medal or not.

Simon

A fascinating story of dedicated service.  Like you I am very engaged by the stories of Army nurses of whatever category, perhaps because I’m old enough to have experienced ‘proper’ Army hospitals, and observed with alacrity ‘sit to attention’ whilst bedbound, as the order was during Matron’s Rounds.  I’ll never forget how agitated the ward Sisters used to get beforehand, not to mention the Staff Nurses scurrying hither and thither with the junior nurses in their charge.  This was still at a time when they wore grey ward dresses ** and crisply starched white caps.  Their appearance not hugely different to these two photographs, apart from the dresses being knee rather than ankle length.

I was intrigued as to what uniform Miss Potts might have worn when with the PCANSR and found the enclosed photos giving an idea of its appearance.  Interestingly they wore the same scarlet tippet cape as regulars, a distinction they lost when disbanded, as the replacement QAIMNS(R) were obliged to wear a very different, grey tippet cape with a scarlet border, the same as the Territorial Force Nurses, which I know will have been galling to them, as unlike the Reserve the Territorials were not all necessarily trained professional nurses.  Their rather splendid Princess Christian medallions were also replaced by a much simpler affair of a large capital R (for Reserve) within a circlet bearing their title suspended from a ribbon and different from both, regulars and Territorials.  I read somewhere that this was because the regulars were very wary of losing their special status, both professionally and (tellingly) in terms of their social class.

** very different from the ‘scrubs’ of today.

IMG_9007.jpeg

IMG_9006.jpeg

IMG_9008.jpeg

IMG_9009.png

IMG_9010.jpeg

IMG_9011.jpeg

IMG_9012.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

37 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Nice photographs, Frogsmile.

The stff collar in the full length colour photograph looks ver uncomfortable to wear.

Regards,

Alf McM

Yes it does make one wonder how they were able to actively nurse if truly dressed in that manner. 

Mary POTTS claimed on her application to join the Q.A.I.M.N.S. that she was born in Litherland, Liverpool on 10th May 1871. She also claimed her parents were both dead and her father was a ‘Gentleman’.

There is only one ‘Mary Potts’ birth which matches the place and date. This was registered in the June quarter of 1871 in the district of West Derby. This area includes the civil parish of Litherland. The G.R.O. index for this record records that the mother’s maiden name was ‘Holme’.

Only 1 Mary Potts is shown in a census as born in ‘Litherland’ in 1871. In 1881 her parents are shown as Thomas H. Potts and Elizabeth A. Potts. This could only be Thomas Henry POTTS and Elizabeth Ann HOLMES, who married in Liverpool in late 1859. Elizabeth appears to have died in West Derby in 1891 {after the census}, and Thomas also in West Derby in 1894.

So far the details match Mary’s Q.A.I.M.N.S. application. The only problem is that in 1871 Thomas was recorded as a Labourer in a Brick Yard, and in 1881 as a Labourer. In 1891 he was a Fireman in a Gas Works. Hardly the ‘Gentleman’ on the application. Mary presumably knew that she would not be allowed into Q.A.I.M.N.S. if her father was a Labourer, but she was may have been found out, and this was why her application was rejected.

To confirm I had the correct person I downloaded a digital copy of Mary’s birth certificate from GRO. This is a new service and only costs £2.50.

The image shows that Mary POTTS was born at Field Lane, Litherland on 27thMay 1871. Her mother is Elizabeth Ann HOLME, and her father Thomas Henry POTTS, General Labourer. The date of birth does not match that shown on Mary’s application. Have I got the wrong person, or did Mary get her birthday wrong?

A family tree on Ancestry shows that Mary had several siblings;- William {B1860}, Elizabeth Anne {B1863}, Ellen {B1866}, Eliza {B1869}, Margaret {B1874}, Emma {B1876} & Thomas Henry {B1879}. There are no dates of death. Margaret may be the M. Potts recorded as Mary’s next of kin.

After the Boer War Mary qualified as a Midwife on 29th May 1903 at L.O.S. [Perhaps Liverpool Obstetrics School?]. She was living at 1 Scarisbrick Avenue, Litherland in February 1905.

In September 1939, at age of 68, Mary was letting furnished rooms, and living at 51 Scarsdale Villas, Kensington. She was single and was born on 10th May 1871.

I have been unable to find out where Mary died.

5 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Mary POTTS claimed on her application to join the Q.A.I.M.N.S. that she was born in Litherland, Liverpool on 10th May 1871. She also claimed her parents were both dead and her father was a ‘Gentleman’.

There is only one ‘Mary Potts’ birth which matches the place and date. This was registered in the June quarter of 1871 in the district of West Derby. This area includes the civil parish of Litherland. The G.R.O. index for this record records that the mother’s maiden name was ‘Holme’.

Only 1 Mary Potts is shown in a census as born in ‘Litherland’ in 1871. In 1881 her parents are shown as Thomas H. Potts and Elizabeth A. Potts. This could only be Thomas Henry POTTS and Elizabeth Ann HOLMES, who married in Liverpool in late 1859. Elizabeth appears to have died in West Derby in 1891 {after the census}, and Thomas also in West Derby in 1894.

So far the details match Mary’s Q.A.I.M.N.S. application. The only problem is that in 1871 Thomas was recorded as a Labourer in a Brick Yard, and in 1881 as a Labourer. In 1891 he was a Fireman in a Gas Works. Hardly the ‘Gentleman’ on the application. Mary presumably knew that she would not be allowed into Q.A.I.M.N.S. if her father was a Labourer, but she was may have been found out, and this was why her application was rejected.

To confirm I had the correct person I downloaded a digital copy of Mary’s birth certificate from GRO. This is a new service and only costs £2.50.

The image shows that Mary POTTS was born at Field Lane, Litherland on 27thMay 1871. Her mother is Elizabeth Ann HOLME, and her father Thomas Henry POTTS, General Labourer. The date of birth does not match that shown on Mary’s application. Have I got the wrong person, or did Mary get her birthday wrong?

A family tree on Ancestry shows that Mary had several siblings;- William {B1860}, Elizabeth Anne {B1863}, Ellen {B1866}, Eliza {B1869}, Margaret {B1874}, Emma {B1876} & Thomas Henry {B1879}. There are no dates of death. Margaret may be the M. Potts recorded as Mary’s next of kin.

After the Boer War Mary qualified as a Midwife on 29th May 1903 at L.O.S. [Perhaps Liverpool Obstetrics School?]. She was living at 1 Scarisbrick Avenue, Litherland in February 1905.

In September 1939, at age of 68, Mary was letting furnished rooms, and living at 51 Scarsdale Villas, Kensington. She was single and was born on 10th May 1871.

I have been unable to find out where Mary died.

Brilliant research Alf and I think you’re bang on the money.  Indeed I’d happily wager that she falsified her QAIMNS application to state her father was a gentleman knowing that the Service would not otherwise permit her to join and I suspect that she also deliberately altered her date of birth as a strategy too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm thinking now that Mary didn't need a birth certificate to enroll in Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. 5 years later, as she would have been transferring from A.N.S.R.

Regards,

Alf McM

Just now, alf mcm said:

I'm thinking now that Mary didn't need a birth certificate to enroll in Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. 5 years later, as she would have been transferring from A.N.S.R.

Regards,

Alf McM

Yes that seems logical Alf.

Alf,

excellent work. I certainly hadn’t expected any falsification from her. 
It proves one thing, the ruling classes must have ruled out countless candidates in a wide range of roles based on their background . Miss Potts evidently pursued a distinguished career regardless. 
I had wondered about nursing uniforms of the period and their practicality or lack of. 
Thanks for the replies.

Simon

Mary also claimed to have been educated at a private school in Litherland! It's notable that Q.A.I.M.N.S. asked for a new copy of her birth certificate on 24/02/09 and her application was refused 2 days later.

Regards,

Alf McM

15 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Mary also claimed to have been educated at a private school in Litherland! It's notable that Q.A.I.M.N.S. asked for a new copy of her birth certificate on 24/02/09 and her application was refused 2 days later.

Regards,

Alf McM

It’s very socially revealing and a rather sad state of affairs that she had to resort to the strategies that she did.  I wonder if they checked what knives and forks she used…