Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bugler Charles Ernest Timmins, PO/19601 RMLI, lost aboard HMS CARDIFF in the second battle of Heligoland Bight, 17 Nov 1917. Born 7 Dec 1902.

In his entry in "Lives of the First World War" the attached image is linked, but no source is given. Does anyone know where it was published? 

(There is also an oil painting, reproduced here: http://www.exroyalmarinesbandsmen.net/Charles_Timmins_obit.htm )

mid_90944354.jpg.fa47ae027c967917113bf71124140a9a.jpg

29 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Bugler Charles Ernest Timmins, PO/19601 RMLI, lost aboard HMS CARDIFF in the second battle of Heligoland Bight, 17 Nov 1917. Born 7 Dec 1902.

In his entry in "Lives of the First World War" the attached image is linked, but no source is given. Does anyone know where it was published? 

(There is also an oil painting, reproduced here: http://www.exroyalmarinesbandsmen.net/Charles_Timmins_obit.htm )

mid_90944354.jpg.fa47ae027c967917113bf71124140a9a.jpg

Hi seaJane.

According to alarmy the piece featured in 'Brave Boys and Girls in Wartime. True stories.' London : Blackie & Son, [1918]. 

https://www.alamy.com/the-notes-from-charlies-bugle-rang-out-clear-and-loud-charles-ernest-timmins-bugler-royal-marine-light-infantry-at-age-14-born-7th-dec-1902-served-on-the-c-class-light-cruiser-hms-cardiff-on-the-17th-of-november-1917-hms-cardiff-was-involved-in-a-light-cruiser-action-off-heligioland-the-mission-objective-was-to-surprise-the-enemy-and-try-and-force-him-into-action-the-ships-bugler-charles-timmins-was-killed-while-he-was-sounding-the-alert-a-piece-of-shrapnel-from-a-shell-blew-a-hole-in-cardiffs-funnel-and-pierced-his-bugle-brave-boys-and-girls-in-wartime-true-stories-l-image227160715.html

Hope that is of some use.

Gunner 87

image from opusculum.wordpress.com

267F221F-A63C-4683-BDEE-726D4747FBD9.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

Oh, thank you! I saw the alamy images in search retrieval thumbnails but never thought of investigating further. That'll teach me!

6 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

According to alarmy

And now I have bought the (apparently) one copy that was available online. Will be interesting to see what the other stories are.

8 minutes ago, seaJane said:

And now I have bought the (apparently) one copy that was available online. Will be interesting to see what the other stories are.

Great stuff. I actually started looking at the illustrator's signature before using 'Bing' but have just reread the article from opusculum and it records him as Gordon Browne, 1858-1932.  I run a small art group hence my interest :) 

best of luck Gunner....

This photo is from John Ambler's book World War I Remembered - Royal Marine Buglers and Musicians at War.

11 hours ago, domwalsh said:

This photo is from John Ambler's book World War I Remembered - Royal Marine Buglers and Musicians at War.

Thanks Dom. The bugle is now displayed aboard HMS DRAGON which represents Wales in the RN at sea.