Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 German POW

Daniel DUFOUR

I’d like to read memoirs and/or diaries written by German POWs captured by Allieds during WW1. Any suggestions?

Thanks for getting back to me Charlie!

There are a few English translations of Austro-Hungarian/German soldiers in Russian captivity. Most are lightly to heavily fictionalized. To name a few:

Ferdinand Horvath. Captured!

Edwin Dwinger. Prisoner of War

Karl Wilke. Prisoner Halm

If I think of others I'll add them.

All the best,

Dave

"My Escape from Donington Hall preceded by an account of the siege of Kiao-Chow in 1915" by Kapitanleutnant Gunther  Pluschow of the German Air Service deals in part with his time as a PoW in England as is available via Project Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/49264/49264-h/49264-h.htm

40 minutes ago, Resurgam13 said:

"My Escape from Donington Hall preceded by an account of the siege of Kiao-Chow in 1915" by Kapitanleutnant Gunther  Pluschow of the German Air Service deals in part with his time as a PoW in England as is available via Project Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/49264/49264-h/49264-h.htm

Isn't that a translation from his book "Die Abenteuer des Fliegers von Tsingtau" from 1916? In which case it was published under wartime censorship... Something to keep in mind when reading the book.

Jan

Oh wow. Thank you so much to you both!

Elsa Brändström: Unter Kriegsgefangenen in Rußland und Sibirien – 1914–1920 (German and Austrian POW's  - "Elsa Brändström: Among prisoners of war in Russia and Siberia 1914-1920)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsa_Brändström

Yeah, only in German (there's a version in Swedish, which might not help at all)

But maybe you can find yourself a German (or Swedish) friend to translate it for you for some Poutine and side-drinks? ;)

I can't send you the PDF file as it 17.5 MB, so "GWF Computer says NO"

Can send it you by PM I think?

Alon Rachamimov's book POWs and the Great War : captivity on the Eastern Front has a bibliography with primary sources. They are overwhelmingly in German and have not been translated but here are the three in English that may possibly be relevant for you.

Dwinger, Edwin Erich. Between White and Red. Trans. Marion Saunders. New York: Scribner & Sons, 1932.

Dyboski, Roman. Seven Years in Russia & Siberia 1914-1921. Trans. Marion Moore Coleman. Cherry Hill Books, 1971. Dyboski was an ethnic Pole and the book was originally published in Polish in 1922, but technically he could have been a member of the German military.

Price, Hereward T. Boche and Bolshevik: Experiences of an Englishman in the German Army and Russian Prisons. London: John Murray, 1919.

Hey, that’s a great hint! Thanks!