Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any know where this is?

J T Gray

My parents are sorting through donkeys years worth of photos, and have no idea where this is. They obviously went there 'cos that's them in the picture (nice socks-with-sandals, Dad!) and it's a war memorial but where?

It's in the UK, and it MIGHT be on the coast somewhere - other than that... I figure that this is the best spot to get a war memorial identified!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Adrian

post-3528-1113211864.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Just giving this a bump! I am intrigued now, as it seems to have beaten the Cemetery fiends on the forum. But it must be in the UK - the closest my parents have got to abroad is Wales - it's big both physically and in terms of names on it, and there's what must surely be some distinctive architecture behind it.

Surely someone out there has spotted it?

Adrian

Adrain

I'd have a punt that this might be the Harrogate memorial. There is, at least, a vague resemblance, I think.

But, then again.......

John

I haven't got a clue where this could be..... however looking at the picture to the right, above the bushes, is that the top of something Navy-ish?!?!

I've checked around but it's not Harrogate- the buildings aren't right...... see below for a pic I've pinched from Genuki.

Les.

I haven't got a clue where this could be..... however looking at the picture to the right, above the bushes, is that the top of something Navy-ish?!?!

Les.

Could be a mast of some kind, couldn't it?. The hedge it is peeping over is Euonymus (?), which is often used as hedging in coastal towns as it is salt-resistant.

I'm intrigued by the strange buildings to the left! Someone must know those, surely?

Adrian

Don't laugh....but I think I've seen this memorial!

Could it be Clacton-on-Sea? (I asked you not to laugh)

I have either seen this one or one very much like it. The reason I say that is I seem to remember that one of the plaques had a dedication on it to the Royal Navy(Reserve).

It's just a thought............but you never know.

PAUL J :ph34r:

Adrian,

I know this will be of no use to you but the memorial is definately not in Scotland as the sun is shining in the picture. :rolleyes:

The sun was always shining in Hawick whenever I ventured over the hills from Lockerbie!

Graham

Could be Clacton, Paul- they are from Essex. I'll try 'em and see.

Adrian

(Derek, you deserve a slap for that remark!)

See:

http://www.onelang.com/encyclopedia/index....ial_gardens.jpg

And:

http://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/localplan/ten...itten/cpt20.htm

"The Seafront, or Marine, Gardens are divided into five separate compartments, running north-east to south-west from Pier Gap. The first compartment contains the War Memorial Garden which was used as an area for formal bedding schemes until 1924 when the First World War Memorial was erected to designs by Charles Hartwell, and gardens were laid out around it. They are enclosed by a clipped Euonymus hedge and mature hollys on the town side and are laid to grass. A pattern of beds for annual bedding survive little altered since 1924, as do the structural cordylines planted here. The war memorial is reached by a path from the seaward boundary and is surrounded by a path set with seating. "

Kath.

Brilliant, Kath! I spent ages Googling yesterday and couldn't find a picture - obviously the sceret is to look for the memorial gardens! Well done to Paul as well for getting us on the right track.

Somehow I just KNEW Baker's Pals would crack it!

Adrian

:D:D:D

That's what you get with team effort!

I'm well chuffed, I usually have trouble remembering who I am in the mornings.

Nice One!

Paul J :ph34r: