Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air Mechanic 1st Class

Moonraker

I have a card addressed to Mr W[ill] Whitmarsh, Royal Flying Corps, Lark Hill, Salisbury Plain postmarked February 27, 1913. The medal index card for Air Mechanic 1st Class William F Whitmarsh shows "date of entry" into an unspecified theatre of war as August 13,1914, with a 1914 star awarded.

There is a reasonable chance that the two men are one and the same. Following the creation of the RFC in 1912, when were Air Mechanic ranks created? I would have thought that the lady who sent the card might have used his rank rather than "Mr". (I suppose that it's possible that Will was then a civilian and that "Royal Flying Corps" related to his address rather than to his unit.)

William Francis Whitmarsh, 262 (RFC and RAF) enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps on 3 August 1912. (RAF Muster Roll 1918 and RAF Airman's Record - FmP). His trade when the RAF was formed was "fitter general" and he was a sergeant. He was appointed a sergeant mechanic in the RAF.

Unfortunately the RAF record covers only his RAF postings. However it does list his promotions. He was appointed 1AM (from 2 AM) on 4 February 1913.  Date of entry to theatre 13 August 1914.

The lady's name wasn't Gladys by any chance? He married Galdys Annie ???? (record only gives her married surname as next of kin) on in Bruce, Wiltshire on 30 October 1915.

With a serial number as low as that there might be something in A Contemptible Little Flying Corps (McInnes and Webb).

RM

Edited by rolt968

Coo, thanks, RM, that's very useful, thanks. Yes, the card is signed "Much Love  Glad". Since my original post I've found this on ancestorsfamilysearch.

Manningford Bruce was very close to a relief landing ground for CFS Upavon and I had thought that this was in use during the Great War, but I can find no confirmation of this; it appears to have been only used from 1939 to 1947.

But Manningford Bruce is only three miles from the CFS and perhaps William was based there at the time of his marriage in October 1915.

Edited by Moonraker