Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Citizen Army

MagpieDave

Hello,

Someone that I am researching didn't go to fight in the Great War. He had trained as an engineer/mechanic in his early working life and so was used in the munitions factories in Nottingham where he lived.

There was a mention of his name, along with others, that he had joined the Nottingham Citizen Army.

What exactly does this mean?

What did the Citizen Army do?

Did they have to train to be in the Citizen Army?

Any information gratefully received

Dave

The attached images (courtesy of Find My Past) from November 1914 gives a bit of an insight to the aims of the Citizen Army

Citizen Army 3.jpg

Citizen Army 4.jpg

43 minutes ago, MagpieDave said:

Did they have to train to be in the Citizen Army?

Perhaps the attached image will be of assistance (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Citizen Army 5.jpg

Allan1892 - Thank you so much for the for the articles you have posted here - it has certainly given me an insight into what the Citizen Army was all about.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Dave

10 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Always happy to assist wherever I can:thumbsup:

The implication is seemingly a connection with the Volunteer Training Corps (VTC) that eventually morphed into a resurrected Volunteer Force (VF).  Is that a correct interpretation Allan?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Though I haven't come across a Wiltshire reference to "Citizen Army",  a Civilian Training Corps was mooted for Devizes in late 1914. I have the idea that around this time there were similar suggestions in the national press, preceding the formation of the VTC.

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The implication is seemingly a connection with the Volunteer Training Corps (VTC) that eventually morphed into a resurrected Volunteer Force (VF).  Is that a correct interpretation Allan?

That's how I see it

16 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

That's how I see it

It certainly seems to fit with similar events going on concurrently in other parts of the nation so I think you’re absolutely right.

A number of such groups attempted to form as soon as war was declared.  The government was not keen on armed bodies that were not under its direct control, (and they had the example of Ireland before them) also it feared men might use them as an honourable path to avoiding more dangerous service. 

On 27/07/2023 at 20:50, Mk VII said:

A number of such groups attempted to form as soon as war was declared.  The government was not keen on armed bodies that were not under its direct control, (and they had the example of Ireland before them) also it feared men might use them as an honourable path to avoiding more dangerous service. 

Yes I recall reading that it started in London with what was titled initially as the National Guard.  See:  https://www.tradeshouselibrary.org/uploads/4/7/7/2/47723681/the_national_guard_in_the_great_war_1914-1918.pdf

IMG_8922.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE