Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kruistraat Cemetery 1915- whereabouts?

David_Blanchard

The map below outlines the 3 dressing stations used by the 46th North Midland Division in August 1915. No 2 and No 3 dressing stations at Bedford House and Railway Dugouts both have CWGC cemeteries associated with these medical facilities but I cannot find one associated with No1 at Kruistraat. The nearest CWGC cemeteries are Belgian Battery Corner and Divisional Cemetery but there is only one casualty from the North Midland Divsion buried in Divisional Cemetery and none in Belgian Battery Corner during the summer of 1915. Men died at Kruistraat dressing station- there is a reference to a mortuary at the dressing station in the war diary of ADMS 46th Division in August 1915- but where were they buried?

David 

6C0FABD4-98AE-4285-A1AD-269A9E1EED5E.png

Hi David, one cemetery that imediatley springs to mind is Belgian Chateau Cemetery, Kruistraat, this was around 400 yards south west of Belgium Battery Corner. The original IWGC cemetery list gives the location as 28.H.23.b.6.5, I can't say where this cemetery was concentrated to post Armistice. The Relevant Body Density map also shows Trench Railway Cemetery around 700 yards east of Kruistraat and Lock No.4 Cemetery around a 1000 yards south east of Kruistraat, at present I'm unaware of where these cemeteries were concentrated to.

David, you have access to 9 of the original burial maps and 2 of Richard Laughton's White Cross and I'm sure there is another one in TrenchMapper that wasn't catalogued properly.  There is a bit of repetition in the list, so start with these, using the id shown below and the Menu - Map Id Jump option - sing out if lost:

White Cross Atlas for Ypres:

Name: Maps 41 - 42: Poperinghe, Langemarck, Ypres
Sheet: 19, 20, 27, 28
Scale: 1:126,720. Edition: 2020 Digital, Richard Laughton
White Cross Insurance atlas of 64 coloured maps and 1,700 cemetery locations circa 1920
Id: white_cross_23

Messer Collection, as referenced by Jay (with Belgian Chateau)

Name: Poperinghe, Ypres
Sheet: 28
Scale: 1:40,000. Edition: 3 Feb 1917
Annotated with disinternments and cemeteries. Marked AAM on reverse. From Messer collection.
Id: m_5_000756

Small Scale from Bethune to North Sea, overlay on 1915 map

Name: Bethune to North Sea
Sheet: 1
Scale: 1:100,000. Edition: Nov 1915
Annotated with cemeteries
Id: ma_000040

Numbers on 1918 map

Name: Poperinghe, Ypres
Sheet: 28
Scale: 1:40,000. Edition: 4 Jan 1918
Annotated with cemeteries
Id: m_5_005282

Many thanks for your help. Belgian Chateau Cemetery was concentrated into Perth China Wall- 12 UK burials.

David 

2 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

Many thanks for your help. Belgian Chateau Cemetery was concentrated into Perth China Wall- 12 UK burials.

Noted, thanks for that David

Trench Railway Cemetery also concentrated at Perth China Wall- although I thought that this was linked to a RAP at Verbrandmolen.

David 

7B24F8A0-3612-42C9-81CD-7A71998D91F2.jpeg

Edited by David_Blanchard