Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Bus Wood/s, Somme

SgtPrice

Dear Forum,

I am researching a family member with a view to retracing their steps on the Somme this September. If one of the BWD related to his service it states that the Bttn he was with spent some time in Bus Wood or Bus Woods. I have tried searching for its modern day location on the battlefield without success. It might have been a rest camp. If there are any forum members who know where it is located I would be very grateful if they could let me know.

regards,

Sgt Price

5 hours ago, SgtPrice said:

Dear Forum,

I am researching a family member with a view to retracing their steps on the Somme this September. If one of the BWD related to his service it states that the Bttn he was with spent some time in Bus Wood or Bus Woods. I have tried searching for its modern day location on the battlefield without success. It might have been a rest camp. If there are any forum members who know where it is located I would be very grateful if they could let me know.

regards,

Sgt Price

Hi Sgt Price.

I think the location is 'Bus-les-Artois' and the woods there were known as 'Bus Wood' or 'Buzz Wood'. 

The 14th Battalion York and Lancaster War Diary records the unit moving to 'Bus Wood' on the 15th May and remaining until the 19th May 1916. This corroborates the information board I have attached https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/fra-leeds-and-bradford-pals-memorial-bus-les-artois.html

Also attached is a photograph of a New Zealand Filed Hospital in the woods at 'Bus-les-Artois' where the Durham Pals were billeted in early May 1916.

Google maps shows a wooded area to the North of the village of 'Bus-les Artois'.

Gunner

A92863E6-51C3-4EA2-9FC1-BB31F7B08C4C_4_5005_c.jpeg

36286427-B568-4492-8DB6-F838CF2758C5_4_5005_c.jpeg

988A660B-5559-4323-B9C5-5453AB952AC8_4_5005_c.jpeg

3B7A7171-C12A-44EF-8B2A-57BBF2561160.jpeg

EF7A7CBD-2B1D-4578-A901-1C21236615FF.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

12 hours ago, SgtPrice said:

one of the BWD related to his service it states that the Bttn he was with

Why not give us his name and battalion, since you already know that.  Plus the date you are interested in.

If you have that information but we don't, then any of the research effort kindly supplied by Gunner is purely speculative (but probably correct).

15 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi Sgt Price.

I think the location is 'Bus-les-Artois' and the woods there were known as 'Bus Wood' or 'Buzz Wood'. 

The 14th Battalion York and Lancaster War Diary records the unit moving to 'Bus Wood' on the 15th May and remaining until the 19th May 1916. This corroborates the information board I have attached https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/fra-leeds-and-bradford-pals-memorial-bus-les-artois.html

Also attached is a photograph of a New Zealand Filed Hospital in the woods at 'Bus-les-Artois' where the Durham Pals were billeted in early May 1916.

Google maps shows a wooded area to the North of the village of 'Bus-les Artois'.

Gunner

A92863E6-51C3-4EA2-9FC1-BB31F7B08C4C_4_5005_c.jpeg

36286427-B568-4492-8DB6-F838CF2758C5_4_5005_c.jpeg

988A660B-5559-4323-B9C5-5453AB952AC8_4_5005_c.jpeg

3B7A7171-C12A-44EF-8B2A-57BBF2561160.jpeg

EF7A7CBD-2B1D-4578-A901-1C21236615FF.jpeg

Gunner, 

Many, many thanks for the info you have posted in response to my question regarding Bus Woods and where it might be located on the Somme. The location makes sense as my family member, Frederick Kirfoot, 1st/7th Manchester Regt, attached to 127 Light Trench Mortar Btty, was killed on 1st July 1918 whilst involved in a raid on La Signy Farm, which is west of Sheffield Memorial Park. His body was recovered and he was subsequently buried in Bertrancourt Military Cemetery, which is just south-east of Bus-les-Artois. Prior to the raid his unit had been stationed in Bus Woods for 7 days, in Divisional Reserve, carrying out a range of duties including cleaning up the camp, etc. I will make sure that I add a visit to the woods when I visit the Somme in Sept.

Again, thanks for the info,

regards,

Stuart.

8 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Why not give us his name and battalion, since you already know that.  Plus the date you are interested in.

If you have that information but we don't, then any of the research effort kindly supplied by Gunner is purely speculative (but probably correct).

Hi WhiteStarLine,

Thanks for posting your thoughts on my question.

Please see my response to Gunner. Now that he has very likely identified the site of Bus Wood the location makes sense as I have explained above. 

regards,

Stuart.