Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a trench map with Bridge No 14 across the Ypres Canal marked on from c.1915

David_Blanchard

Below is a map from 2nd North Midland Field Ambulance from August 1915- trying to work out medical evacuation route which crosses the canal at bridge 14 en route to No 1 Dressing Station at Kruistraat. So far most of the maps I have found are from later in the war and don't appear to have this bridge marked. 

David 

image.png.8139df641dda22751fda4256b6de5ddf.png

Edited by David_Blanchard

David, this December 1915 German map has a bridge 9b which seems a reasonable fit:

Name: Wytschaete area, Ypres
Sheet: [Not recorded]
Scale: 1:20,000
Annotated Trenches, boundaries, batteries. Printed 1/12/1915
Id: m_004928

image.png.2e7c53d3184563541ad87e91de874546.png

Thanks very much for the map- do you have a link for the whole map on Trench Mapper- again baring in mind I only have an iMac to access the maps on TM!

David 

1 hour ago, David_Blanchard said:

the whole map on Trench Mapper

Hi David,

Simply click on the Menu, then Map Id Jump, then paste in m_004928.

Let me know if you experience any issues.

Cheers, Bill

David

This map is in the December 1915 WD of 50 Div HQ GS. Courtesy TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2807. I'll try and find a better one.

Brian

2807.jpg

Near miss. This map of Saint Jean is in the August 1915 WD of 14 Div HQ GS. It shows Bridge numbers 11, 12 and 13. I will try and find a map below Saint Jean. 

Courtesy TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1864.

Brian

1864.jpg

Many thanks,

Bill and Brian- I think I have got the hang of Trench Mapper!

David

The maps in 1915 WDs below Saint Jean are marked Verbrandenmolen. I have looked through my list but I can not find one with the crossings numbered. This is from the August 1915 WD of 46 Div HQ GS and shows a bit more of Ypres than other Verbrandenmolen maps. We will have to use our imagination.

Courtesy TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2662.

Brian

2662.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

The WD of 1/2 N Midland Field Co RE, WO 95/2677, records that from 19/07/1915 to 24/07 two sections were working on the Causeway from Zillebeke to 14 Bridge.

EDIT: The July 1915 WD of 139 Infantry Brigade has Op Oder no 9 which gives the map reference for the road leading to Bridge 14 from the Kruisstraat - Ypres road as I 13 a 5 1 which is in the top left hand square of the map in the previous post. Someone has extended the map with part of another map so it is not clear but it can be made out. 

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2692.

EDIT 2: The junction can also be seen in the bottom left hand square of the Saint Jean map so the route taken to the No 1 would most likely have been the causeway worked on by the RE which is shown on your sketch and on the Verbrandenmolen map

Brian

2692.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info