Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WOMBAT CHARGES

Lorre

Reading on the Vimy Battle of the La Folie fighting system and came across "17 mines and 9 Wombat charges."

Can anyone tell me what is a Wombat charge?

Thank You

They were charges placed in holes bored using a Wombat drilling machine - for example, used in blasting a route across no mans land.

Thank You,

Never heard of it.

Interesting.

So who else thought of the Cold War period recoilless anti-tank gun when they first saw the title? 😉

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Article and a picture link

Thanks for that!

3 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

Interesting.

So who else thought of the Cold War period recoilless anti-tank gun when they first saw the title? 😉

I certainly did, took me back to my TA days in Support Platoon.

14 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

Interesting.

Definitely me - I saw one a few weeks ago in the Carlyle military museum - how anti-tank technology has changed!

15 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

Interesting.

I did too, but since I knew the AT gun used a fixed round with a ballasted charge to counter recoil, such charges could hardly be packaged separately...

Probably. :D

The recoilless charge system didn't exist in WW1 so it couldn't be that, but I had never heard of the wombat drills before. Looks like a modified post hole digger.

A case of the chicken and the egg.

I am aware of drills like that being installed on early solid tyre trucks and used to drill holes for agricultural fence strainer posts in the late 1920s, but I thought those drills only came into existence as motor lorries started to make a serious penetration into the rural market in the late 20s and 30s. So am now quite curious as to when the "Wombat" drill came into production and was it developed for the war effort or was it just an agricultural tool being repurposed.

As for the name, a wombat hole is typically about 12 inches in diameter and quite round. A bit bigger than a UK mole hole, and does a little more damage to the car if you drive into one when driving across the paddock.

Apparently invented by Capt Stanley Hunter who was the drilling expert in the Australian Mining Corp and named after the Australian boring creature. Was used to bore 6" holes up to 100' long towards the enemy trench and, when back filled with explosive charges and detonated, resulted in a ready made communication trench linking up to that of the enemy. The Wombat was powered using a hand crank and I assume the twist drill bit was used in the same way as in oil well drilling rigs with new sections of pipe added to the machine behind the drill as it proceeded into the ground.

2 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Apparently invented by Capt Stanley Hunter who was the drilling expert in the Australian Mining Corp and named after the Australian boring creature. Was used to bore 6" holes up to 100' long towards the enemy trench and, when back filled with explosive charges and detonated, resulted in a ready made communication trench linking up to that of the enemy. The Wombat was powered using a hand crank and I assume the twist drill bit was used in the same way as in oil well drilling rigs with new sections of pipe added to the machine behind the drill as it proceeded into the ground.

There was also an anti.tank missile called the Wombat. I saw it in use at a fire power demonstration in 1971.

I've not heard of a Wombat anti-tank missile but one of the reasons the Wombat gun was retained until well into the 1980's was over fear that the Milan anti-tank missile might have problems in urban areas due to its wire guidance. Milan entered service in the early 1970's.

11 hours ago, Spaceman said:

I've not heard of a Wombat anti-tank missile but one of the reasons the Wombat gun was retained until well into the 1980's was over fear that the Milan anti-tank missile might have problems in urban areas due to its wire guidance. Milan entered service in the early 1970's.

It was a long time ago and perhaps I am mixing up the Wombat with something else that was demonstrated - a Milan? It was, though, definitely mounted on an armoured something!

Fired from an armoured vehicle, it would have been a Swingfire missile!

14 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Fired from an armoured vehicle, it would have been a Swingfire missile!

No, it can't have been a Swingfire, I remember distinctly the commentator calling it a Wombat. It was in 1971 so my memory my , is, a bit shaky. Perhaps on a Land Rover?

• DavidOwen locked this topic