Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell fragment ID please

Verdunboy

Morning Guys 

I have recently returned from France and was given some shell fragments by a German friend who was also visiting. These are completely benign bits of metal with no potential risk attached or I would not have accepted them. I’m interested in trying to identify these from the thickness of the casting and wonder if this is actually possible.

item 1 is about 15mm

item 2 is about 30mm

item 3 is about 8mm

Items 1&2 are obviously from the shell head with the screw lathed in to take the fuse. Item 3 is much thinner and about 12 inches long with lathe manufacture marks on the outside. I’m pretty confident that this stuff is of German origin given its find location. The fragment’s are now clean but are definitely GW era.

Thanks for any assistance- I wouldn’t have bothered but seeing the level of experience on some of the other posts I’ve read it’s worth a try. 
Thanks guys.

84C846EE-E662-48E9-9787-BFA21B079A9F.jpeg

564C045C-DBC0-4BAB-A608-1EEA0607DD86.jpeg

7B5D190E-1E9F-413A-9801-CBB431B8AA91.jpeg

Edited by Verdunboy
More meaningful information

• Michelle Young changed the title to Shell fragment ID please

Identification of these will be difficult.

Is there any provenance ?

Can you measure the pitch of the threads ?

11 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

Identification of these will be difficult.

Is there any provenance ?

Can you measure the pitch of the threads ?

Thread pitch gauges with both Imperial TPI (threads per inch) and Metric pitches are available for a few quid from many tool sources. It's pretty difficult using any sort of ruler to distinguish (eg.) an Imperial 16 TPI pitch from a Metric 1,5 mm, or Imperial 8 TPI from Metric 3,0.

Do any of the pieces show anything left of the driving band recess on t'other side?

Because this document:

https://stephentaylorhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/identification-of-artillery-projectiles.pdf

...on its 6th page (p.4 on its own pagination) shows national driving band (rotating band) recess patterns for various WW2 belligerents, and these may well have remained unchanged from WW1.

Edited by MikB

Any chance of pic #1 with a ruler next to the thread so that we can better judge the dimensions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fella’s

Well this was was always going to be a bit of a long shot (no pun intended) I’ve added a further photo below in response to Spaceman and hope it perhaps helps with any possible identification.

Thanks also to Mikb for your input and the document link which was interesting.

The fragments were from an area around Verdun on a French defensive position and so there’s little doubt they are of German origin. My friend took me to the area and the ground was literally covered with fragments of various sizes.

These were originally very rusty and were treated and cleaned up.

Thanks once again gentlemen for all your help.

28B7909B-A489-453E-9534-76A30BD717CD.jpeg.d48d223f8b0624756c6f527582f7b7cf.jpeg

Well, that looks like 3 threads per cm, but whether this is helpful or not relies on better experts than me.

Good luck with your research.