Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Query

Spud Trevor

I have a little query relating to the CWGC on-line database.

I have a plaque named to a Walter Albert Yearsley, but could find no reference to this chap on the on-line CWGC database. However, the cross of sacrifice book for naval personnel lists the man as a Sto1cl kia 19/8/15 on HMS E13. This also corresponds with other information I have found regarding this action.

The on-line database shows all the correct details for the man except that he is recorded as John Yearsley, who is recorded as been buried in Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery. I rang a very helpful chap at Haslar who had a look in the cemetery register on-site, which he told me also records the details against Walter Albert Yearsley.

In summary it seems all the records show Walter Albert Yearsley, with the exception of the online database which shows John.

Can anyone see any other possible explanation ?

Regards,

Spud

Spud

The CWGC database holds names as supplied by the War Office, Admiralty and other authorities in the UK and the Dominions.

If there is a n-o-k address listed in the database, it means that the n-o-k confirmed the details. Otherwise, some form of clerical error could have occured. Alternatively, many men served under names different to those by which they were known to their relatives.

I'll see if I can find anything out on this one.

Spud

This is a possible clerical/scanning error on the database. The original CWGC register shows 'Walter Albert'.

I'll report it for correction and report back if it is amended.

Spud

CWGC have got back to me this morning on this one as follows....

The original information supplied to them by the military and which they subsequently published was that the forenames were 'Walter Albert'.

However, they subsequently received a correction to their master information (date unknown) which amended the name to 'John'.

More background is needed to look into this further. Have you a copy of his death certificate?

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your efforts in this matter.

No I don't have any further paperwork. I simply looked at the normal sources of information, which most people check when completing basic casualty research.

I've great respect for the work of the CWGC, and it was only after confirming that the cemetery register shows Walter Albert, that I thought a mistake may have been made when inputting data on-line. I noted that the on-line database lists another naval John Yearsley, and thought this may have been the cause of a simple mix up. However, it would seem that it is a little more complicated than this.

Do the CWGC know who requested the details to be ammended ?

Thanks again,

Spud

Spud

Unfortunately, that detail was not added to the correction which was made some time ago.

It is quite possible that the original name was an alias and his real name was John. It is also possible that the correction was in error.

As with all these queries, the death certificate is a good piece of paper to have. It will at least confirm the name by which he was known at the time of death.

Hello Terry,

Sorry to pick your brains,

If I were to get a death certificate, would this be enough evidence for the CWGC, or would they investigate further ?

Also would they eventually ammend both the cemetery register and I presume the headstone to show John ?

It seems fairly strange because the register records an address and the names of both parents suggesting the n-o-k completed the necessary paperwork at the time ? (The lad's Dad is also called Walter). So presumably they originally confirmed the name Walter Albert for the original details.

The key seems to be the relevance / validity of the subsequent name change to John, but I would guess this would have been stringently checked at the time.

Regards,

Spud

Spud

Yes, the correction would have been checked prior to it being entered in the master record. However, that does not mean a mistake has not been made (eg the correction could have been made against the wrong name by oversight).

The death cert would help along with the birth cert - if you could prove they were the same person. Having been born and died under the same name is a powerful argument. However, it will have to be a strong case for the amendment to be amended.

If this can be proven, the database would be changed and the headstone altered (if indeed it says 'John'. It may have the original name or initials).

If you can get these documents (even just the death cert), email me off Forum and I'll see if I can help.