Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt John Lloyd Davies

Balfour

Seeking any details of John Lloyd Davies - 2/Lt Kings Regiment WW1. Whose Medal Index Card shows that he served in the British Gendamerie.

I understand he served as a Captain in the Gendarmerie.

Thanks

Thanks I've seen this. Yes it is the man.

I'm looking for any info additional to this. I've seen the trees on Ancestry too....and trying to prove when he left Palestine and what he did afterwards.
There may be some errors on ancestry trees.

Thanks

On the Auxiliaries website, Davies has a date of birth of 13th Feb 1891. On the 1939 register, there is a John L Davies, with that birthdate, living in Northfleet, Kent, a foreman in the paper trade, married to Mary J Davies. 

There was a marriage between John L Davies and Mary J Wigley in Dolgelly in 1923. A John Lloyd Davies was born in Dolgelly in Jan Qtr 1892.  Possibly, the two men have been mixed up?

The John Lloyd Davies that died in 1929 was a gamekeeper, of Gwastadedd, who was found dead in the River Trywerin on 26/7/1929.

The subject of my research is Robert Glynne Davies, John Lloyd Davies is his brother. The family come from Corwen N Wales and lived in Wrexham. Children were registered in Chester Wrexham and Cardiff.

If he was with the British Gendamerie in 1920's he is unlikely to be on the 1921 census or attached to the family listed in that census under John L Davies Gamekeeper Corwen, Floence Davies. Gamekeeper. - This is the man who died in mysterious circumstances in the river. 

I'll have a look at the 1939 register. 

28 minutes ago, IPT said:

On the Auxiliaries website, Davies has a date of birth of 13th Feb 1891. On the 1939 register, there is a John L Davies, with that birthdate, living in Northfleet, Kent, a foreman in the paper trade, married to Mary J Davies. 

The exact DoB comes from the Auxiliary Register, So its odds on that you have him in 1939 Register.(it was not available when I did the original research)

9 hours ago, IPT said:

None of your excuses, young man.

John 8:7 KJV :)

Well spotted the probate.

He married Mary Grace Ledger in 1933 in London. The OP could get the Marriage Cert, which would give his profession on that date

My feeling is that he must have had some sort of incident or problem in Palestine. He went there as a Captain, which was a senior position, but was only a foreman in 1939 Register

Ancestry sea voyages

Ship Osterley into London 8 Nov 1923 Captain JL Davies embarked Port Said Last Perm residence Palestine for RAF Hospital Finchley.