Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auction of War Poetry

Dust Jacket Collector

I thought perhaps that the more wealthy collectors here might be interested in this online auction tomorrow at Sotheby’s - ‘Books, Manuscripts and Music : From Medieval to Modern’. The last 100 lots contain some of the most desirable, and expensive, copies of all the iconic volumes of WW1 poetry, most of which are inscribed. It doesn’t say whose collection this was but I’m sure someone here could hazard a guess.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2023/books-and-manuscripts-medieval-to-modern?locale=en

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Lot 379 !!

Wouldn’t say no. Also the lot before it, Sassoon’s ‘Morning Glory’ - incredibly rare. I remember seeing the copy of Sassoon’s ‘Old Huntsman’ inscribed to Graves in a London bookshop some 35 years ago for £2,000. Now it’s paired with Graves ‘Over the Brazier’ for up to £70,000! If only I’d had the money.

Some very important copies, imagine what they would have got during the centenary!

Don;t look at the wine auctions, makes the books look like chump change.........

12 minutes ago, MartH said:

Some very important copies, imagine what they would have got during the centenary!

Don;t look at the wine auctions, makes the books look like chump change.........

or even crazier, American comics & Pokemon cards!

As a collector of this stuff I did think the estimates to be wildly optimistic. Such it has proved as hardly any of the lots have sold. Perhaps they’ll end up on eBay?

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

As a collector of this stuff I did think the estimates to be wildly optimistic. Such it has proved as hardly any of the lots have sold. Perhaps they’ll end up on eBay?

They now sell stuff for commision directly - upmarket ebay.