Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16 casualty clearing station Bagdad 1918

TonyC

Does anyone have anything on the 16 casualty clearing station Bagdad? I am researching Sapper LVA Nelson, who described how"... 8 bombs were dropped on 16CCS at advanced base on Jan 25 1918. Sapper Nelson was part of the Anzac Wireless Bagdad.

Welcome to the forum.  This looks the same as your other thread - you're going to get multiple replies to different threads so best to consolidate into just one:

Mate,

Sorry but your throwing up stuff against a wall to see what sticks.

As to raids on Baghdad

Yes there were raids on the 24 and 25 Jan 1918

The British OWH vol 4 states there were a few casaulties during these raids.

The history further stated there were some 32 German/Ottoman aircraft avalible to them during these dates, which I find impossible, as even at fu7ll strength they never had close to that many planes.

As to your man its hard to find details on the Sig Sqns work in Mespot but "With Horse and Morse" is an interesting read, but hard to follow the way it switchs around.

Duster force was gathering in Baghdad at the time of the raids and was about to move up north.

The Allied forces hard already moved north and threatening Kirkirk and other places

As to your man I have only the basic's on him

NELSON    Louis Victor Augustus    17124    Spr    1 Wls Sig Sqn    7R to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 1-17 later WWII Capt 24Bn VDC (N251956) 

I check my records but found no Aussie soldier, killed or wounded in Mespot during this time and as his records makes no claim to any thing, then I wonder if you meant he was involved or not?

Sorry that's as far as I can check, and our British mates maybe able to check there records, as 72 Sqn RFC had a small part of there Sqn at Baghdad at that time and the airfoeld made a good target as well as the many stores depots

S.B

I am assisting Nelson's great-great-granddaughter with transcribing his diary. Thus, this information adds lustre to his entry.

Mate,

Sorry but there is no details on the raids over two days around Baghdad, so how many planes took part or what they bombed is not stated, as are any losses to us or them

That a hosp was bombed is not the first time this happened in that war, or place.

When you concider that the British tended to place these hosp in there depot areas and mostly just placed a Red Cross on the buildings and or tents.

There were of cause good reason to do that as the so called natives were not always frendly

Could you post more of his diary, as there is little on this front, and a number of us follow the events around the area.

Cheers

S.B

Thank you for the additional information. As I progress, I certainly will put more info up.

Cheers, and thank you. I am grateful.

I am unsure how much you know about the work done by the Aussie Signals Troops in Mespot

But mostly they split up into small groups and maned radio/wireless relay stations all across the country to help the British keep in contact

I have a full listings of all troops we had there if you need more.

S.B

Mate,

I was doing some checking and found I had some mention of this raid 

Kigosch    Sgt / VzFeldwebel    Pilot Airforce to 13th Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk 5-17    1917-    Mesopotamia shown AEG C4 with Schultze (O) in raid on Baghdad 25-1-18 claimed shot down British plane 1-5-18 (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen)

Omnos    Sgt / VzFeldwebel (Lt)    Pilot Airforce to 13th Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk 9-17    1917-    Mesopotamia shown AEG C4 with Schultze (O) in raid on Baghdad 25-1-18 reported shot down in AEG C4 with Schultze forced walked to base 31-1-18 (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen)

Schultze (Sultze)     Lt    Observer (Beobachter) Airforce shown 13th Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk 12-17 shown att 2nd Aircraft Company 9-18     1917-    Mesopotamia shown AEG C4 with Omnos (P) in raid on Baghdad 25-1-18 reported shot down in AEG C4 with Omnos (P) forced to walk back to base 31-1-18 (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen)

Sembke (Sambke)    Capt    Observer (Beobachter) Airforce shown 13th Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk 12-17 to OC (from Plates) 4-18     1917-18    Mesopotamia shown AEG C4 with Kigosch (P) in raid on Baghdad 25-1-18 (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen)

So I can confirm at lest two German manned planes from the Ottoman 13th Air Company took part in the raid at lest on the 25 Jan 1918

The 13th Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk was a Ottoman/German raised Company for service in Mespot, what I have on it

13th Air Company (Fighter) - formed for (13th Corps) from the disbanded 12th Air Company (3x Albatros C3 (55 57 & 67) 5-17 at Mosul in Mesopotamia 4-17 to Kifri 5-17 shown from 11th Sqn 3x Albatros C3 (AK71 77 & 78) 8-17 shown 5x AEG C4 (AEG4, 10, 11 & 7066 7068) 3x Halberstadt D5 12-17 shown Kifri near Mosul and rear base at Tuz Khurmatly 1-18 combined with 2nd Sqn at Kirkuk 4-18

So around Dec 1917 the Air company had at lest 8 planes based near Kifri to raid Baghdad with a mixed AEG and Halberstadt's

It appears the Germans raided the place, possibly with just two planes, as above, as no others are mentioned, while none are mentioned on the 24 Jan 1918, so either these men did both raids or the others were not recorded?

Unless our British mates can add more that's as far as I can go here.

S.B

Edited by stevenbecker