Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regt near Beaumetz Les Loges - Rivière

battle of loos

good morning,

is it possible to itentify the exact battalion of the Manchester Regiment stationed in the Hameau de Bellacourt to the south-east of Beaumetz lès Loges?

rivire-manchester.jpg.2536d4a7587a3e30b0c4e9dcb4aee609.jpg

because I found one:

- Manchester Regt badge cap

11thManchester.JPG.53b50c197ccabb5df7a723bad927fc92.JPG
- Liverpool Regt tittle

liverpool-kingsregiment.JPG.cf2544568c90f6452e98e91856c4c7b0.JPG
and a remainder of title "T10"

teeritorial10.JPG.458fe652856d22c7a8593a8efa9008a7.JPG

Thank you in advance for your help.

regards

michel

• 3 weeks later...

Michel, as you haven’t had any luck here yet I wonder if you have tried the Manchester Regiment forum? 
Simon

thank's for your answer.

regards

michel

Good evening
I hadn't thought of this track.
Thank you for the reply.

michel

I wouldn’t have thought of it either. All I can add is that I don’t recall the 21st or 22nd being in that sector based on reading the war diaries (admittedly a while back).

You may already know that the 16th-19th battalions were half of what were the Manchesters Pals though after the Somme countless reinforcements replaced the lost and thus heavily diluted the original ‘pals’.

It would be interesting to know which Kings Liverpool Regiment battalions were in the area and when.

Simon

this goes back to my collecting medals to great uncle, 3 lines in the war diary for his regiment. another regiment at the same time is another in my collection and his regiment diary has a page full. this has interested me and using the search I now know who from the 2 regiments are in which cemetery.  and you can expand from there.using the CWGC gives insight into which regiments were there

Good advice, thanks.

Many years ago I took my wife on a job in France. On the way back I took a rural route home and stopped on a lane and pointed to a field and told her that’s where her GF went over on 1/7/16. I’d taken a copy of his original trench map with me but the real conformation lay in the surrounding cemeteries that bore many men of the QWR.

Simon

Good evening
I will work on the diarys of the Manchester and Liverpool battalions mentioned above.
Thank you for your opinions.

michel

Edited by battle of loos