Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A bit of a mixed group pic ( Sorry, I wasn't sure how to title it )

Ralphed

A couple of pics and if anyone can shed some light on any insignia I'd be most grateful.

The man in the cap I'm sure is Lincs reg but any other shoulder/ sleeve insignia is a bit of a mystery.

I think most of the men are related in someway and also think the pics were  taken in rural Lincolnshire, poss Hemmingby area and  was just post war.

If any one can work out what's written on the gate, it may give the answer.

Thank you for reading.

Ralph.

gate 2.jpg

gate 3.jpg

I’m sorry I can’t help with the insignia other than I see territorial shoulder titles on some. If the photos were taken post war I’d expect to see the odd wound stripe, overseas service chevrons and perhaps medal ribbons. I can’t make out the trade badges on my phone, they could be quite a number things, gun layer, Lewis gunner, farrier, bandsman etc.

Simon

• Admin

The only cap badge looks like Lincolnshire Regiment. I think the bandsman badge was worm on the bicep area rather than cuff. 

10 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I’m sorry I can’t help with the insignia other than I see territorial shoulder titles on some. If the photos were taken post war I’d expect to see the odd wound stripe, overseas service chevrons and perhaps medal ribbons. I can’t make out the trade badges on my phone, they could be quite a number things, gun layer, Lewis gunner, farrier, bandsman etc.

Simon

I agree but my thinking for post war was if they were from different regiments but thinking about it, it could after enlistment and before being posted.

Edited by Ralphed

It's been suggested to me, the last word on the gate could be Hall or Hill.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Ralphed said:

It's been suggested to me, the last word on the gate could be Hall or Hill.

Could it be PATH [TO] O...RE... HALL?

As Michelle says, Lincolnshire Regiment is the badge, and almost all the visible shoulder titles are TF.  Curved titles match.  I think the whole group is likely from the same unit, possibly the 4th Battalion.  The P14 belts, and some simplified jackets suggest a 1914-15 period pre any embarkation.  Two of the men seem to have machine gunners badges of the two-piece type with wider laurels.  Of the two the fellow reclining lower left appears to have a regulars shoulder title and might perhaps be assisting with training.

None of the group have Imperial Service tablets, which suggests that they might possibly be 2nd Line.  If so they’re probably somewhere near St Albans.

IMG_8679.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8400.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

As Michelle says, Lincolnshire Regiment is the badge and all the visible shoulder titles are TF.  Curved titles match.  I think the whole group is likely from the same unit, possibly the 4th Battalion.  The P14 belts, and some simplified jackets suggest 1914-15 period pre any embarkation.  Two of the men seem to have machine gunners badges.

Lincolnshire fits perfectly and so does the MG patch for the one with the cap.

Thank you.

Three Vickers MG crews ?

3 minutes ago, Ralphed said:

Three Vickers MG crews ?

There were only two per battalion still at that early stage, but the other fellows might have been trainees so it’s not impossible.  Highly speculative though so at best perhaps a good guess. 

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

There were only two per battalion still at that early stage, but the other fellows might have been trainees so it’s not impossible.  Highly speculative though so at best perhaps a good guess. 

My question was more about three men to operate a Vickers, not so much all being from the same battalion.

Path to One Tree Hill? Near Basildon?

Edited by Jrmh

32 minutes ago, Ralphed said:

My question was more about three men to operate a Vickers, not so much all being from the same battalion.

Three gun numbers (one per each main component) yes, plus quite a few ammunition numbers.

2 hours ago, Jrmh said:

WW1 anti-aircraft gun emplacement, One Tree Hill

That looks like it alright Jrmh, a brilliant spot by you in deciphering what’s on the gate!  I’m sure that @Ralphed will be pleased with the ID.

The Lincolnshire’s was one of a few smaller regiments that did not raise significant numbers of battalions during WW1.  Tracing the activity and movements of their battalions I can find only one potential connection with Essex.  The 13th Battalion (TF) had been formed from home service personnel of TF units in 1915.  In January 1917 it went to Bedford, around 50-miles from Essex.  As a home defence unit by default, it seems possible that it might have had a detachment at the anti-aircraft site, especially men with qualifications as machine gunners.

Edited by FROGSMILE

TH

17 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

That looks like it alright Jrmh, a brilliant spot by you in deciphering what’s on the gate!  I’m sure that @Ralphed will be pleased with the ID.

The Lincolnshire’s was one of a few smaller regiments that did not raise significant numbers of battalions during WW1.  Tracing the activity and movements of their battalions I can find only one potential connection with Essex.  The 13th Battalion (TF) had been formed from home service personnel of TF units in 1915.  In January 1917 it went to Bedford, around 50-miles from Essex.  As a home defence unit by default, it seems possible that it might have had a detachment at the anti-aircraft site, especially men with qualifications as machine gunners.

20 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Apparently was used for an anti-zeppelin gun base during ww1 One Tree Hill, Honor Oak: A Guide — London x London

Thanks for everyone's help.

I hoped that someone would have answers to the men and their uniforms and pass that info on but I never thought finding where the men were was possible.

As usual the incredible members of the site chip in with info that provide the answers and I'm really grateful that they do.

Thanks again.

Ralph