Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sjt Albert Gill VC

delta

I have found his entry on the CWGC site but would like more details. I cannot find him listed in the Medals Rolls on line; does anyone know when he joined up and details of his previous service?

Delta, cannot help much , but i saw his V.C. sold for £60,000 in 2000 , but i guess you already know this.How people can sell these awards is beyond me.

Regards , Roland.

Born on 8/9/79 in Birmingham, he was living in Spring Hill, Birmingham and had worked for ther post office for 17 years when the war broke out.

On the same date (Oct 26 1916) was announced the award of the (Victoria) Cross to Sergeant Albert Gill, Kings Royal Rifle Corps, for rallying the remnants of his platoon after the enemy had rushed the bombing post, and reorganizing his defences, "a most dificult and dangerous task," in which he was killed.

From A Popular History of the Great War, Vol III, p 565

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 26 OCTOBER, 1916. 10395

No. 2815 Serjeant Albert Gill, late King's

Loyal Rifle Corps.

For most conspicuous bravery. The enemy

made a very strong counter-attack on the

right flank of the battalion, and rushed the

bombing post after killing all the company

bombers.

Serjeant Gill at once rallied the remnants

of his platoon, none of whom were skilled

bombers, and reorganised his defences, a

most difficult and dangerous task, the trench

being very shallow and much damaged.

Soon afterwards the enemy nearly surrounded

his men by creeping up through the

thick undergrowth, and commenced sniping

at about twenty yards range. Although it

-was almost certain death, Serjeant Gill stood

boldly up in order to direct the fire of his

men. He was killed almost at once, but not

before he had shown his men where the

enemy were, and thus enabled them to hold

up their advance.

By his supreme devotion to duty and selfsacrifice

he saved a very dangerous situation.

Nigel

Guest Bob Beech

From the KRRC journal: Sgt Albert Gill Born 8/9/1879 Hospital Street Birmingham. Died KIA Delville Wood France 27/7/1916. Unfortunately other than details of his bravery in winning the VC there are no other details.

I have had a look through other publications for info on Sgt Gill but have not come across too much other than he had worked for the Post Office (not sure of in what capacity) for a number of years before he joined up in his home town.

• 3 years later...

Pals,

Resurrecting this old Topic because I've just posted a picture of Albert Gill, VC here:

1st Btn KRRC, War Diary July 1916

as well as the map of the Capture of Delville Wood 27th July 1916 from the 1916 KRRC Chronicle.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mark

Just a little more on Sergeant Gill (VC)

Born on 8th September 1879 in Birmingham and worked for the Post Office for 17 years before enlisting in the Army at the start of the war.

In the subsequent letter to his widow dated 18th August 1916, his Company Commander wrote:-

"Your husband was one of the most valued men in my company and a man who anyone would be proud to call a friend. He was killed when rallying his men under terrible fire .....I was quite close to him, and he was quite cool, despite the very trying circumstances. The Battalion had just taken a wood (Delville), and the Germans were counter-attacking heavily. I am glad to say we drove them back, and we have since received the thanks of everyone, from Sir Douglas Haig down. It was entirely owing to the heroic example and self-sacrifice of men like your husband that we did so well. He was loved by his platoon, of which I am sorry to say only four or five men remain. That days work will always remain fixed in my memory as the one in which I lost so many gallant comrades. I lost all the officers and sergeants in my own company, and very many of the men. You should be justly proud of your husband in his life and death. He had one of the finest natures I have ever known. No words of mine can express my sympathy with you in your terrible sorrow. May the memory of his heroic end support you."

Andy

Pals,

I don't think Mr Baker will begrudge me posting this good man's picture here in this Topic as well:

post-20192-1235963051.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

... I cannot find him listed in the Medals Rolls on line; does anyone know when he joined up and details of his previous service?

Here's his MIC:

post-20192-1235963777.jpg

The back is blank, so I've cropped it off.

1st Battalion KRRC was one of the four regular battalions and embarked in France on 13th August 1914.

Sjt Gill's qualifying date is 9th Nov 1914, so it looks like he joined them later, and he went out as a Private (i.e. Rifleman).

He was entitled to the 1914 Star.

As we know, he was KiA on 27th Jul 1916, so I'm not sure what to make of the 19, 7, 67 there, nor the B520 and the B460. The latter two don't look like KRRC Service Numbers as the "B" prefix was used by The Rifle Brigade. Could the B520 perhaps be the Victoria Cross Medal Roll? That's unknown territory for me!

Cheers,

Mark

Pals,

Looking at those two 'B###' numbers again, perhaps they could be prefixes to the Medal Roll references?

I.e. the BWM/VM roll reference in full might be "B520 M/101B/9 page 1063" with the 1914 Star roll reference as "B460 M/3 page 51".

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Pals,

Here's a colour version of the photo of Albert Gill above that was issued as part of a cigarette card series of VC holders:

post-20192-1238339018.jpg

There's been a certain amount of artistic license used here though - he was killed while earning his VC, so there's no way a picture of him wearing it could exist.

I assume the cigarette card series editor has had it touched in on top of a colourised version of the Central Press Agency's genuine photograph of Sjt Gill. Rather crudely done too, I'd say!

Just spotted it on fleaBay :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark