Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify

Timbo1

Hi I am new to the forum, I have just returned from the Somme battlefields and would like some help in identifying a couple of artifacts we found on our walks, the 1st one is an iron tube filled at one end with what looks like lead and has a brass/copper sleeve around it, it possibly has a coarse thread in the end, the second is about 3" long and has a 'handle' which looks to be bent with a T piece on the end, it is attached to a tube /cylinder which has what looks like a pin in the middle, any help would be very much appreciated 

Thanks Tim 

IMG-20230712-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20230712-WA0005.jpeg

20230702_173000.jpg

20230702_172944.jpg

20230702_172931.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Top item is a no146 fuze 'all ways' from a stokes mortar. Late war type which replaced the more common Mills type time fuze.  It had a spring coil wrapped round it which held a pin through a, if i'm right you'll see a, square hole in the brass sleeve. This pin held a steel ball bearing in place which, no matter which way - hence 'all ways' the projectile landed, would strike a percussion cap in a brass disc inside the fuze igniting the detonator.  

The bottom item is from a whippletree. - google it!  Its a non military vintage agricultural part.  I only know this because I found one and posted a very similar id request on here.

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

Excellent thankyou sir, the fuse does indeed have the square hole in it soim most pleased with that find, my mate is not so happy with the whippletree  he thought he had a rare bit of a ww1 find 😀