Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Folder3 access

museumtom

I am trying to get access to Folder three. I have just joined the Western Front Association and I now hear I might also have to be a member of Ancestry, is this correct please guys and gals?

11 minutes ago, museumtom said:

I am trying to get access to Folder three. I have just joined the Western Front Association and I now hear I might also have to be a member of Ancestry, is this correct please guys and gals?

Hi museumtom.

Fold3 is included in one of the Ancestry packages though it can be subscribed to on its own. It is currently offering a fourteen day free trial.

Forces War Records now hold almost exactly the same data which is included with Ancestry though I ave found records on Fold3 not on Forces War Records. 

regards

Gunner 87

Edited by Gunner 87

Thank you Gunner, so I joined the WFA for nothing you reckon?

12 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Gunner, so I joined the WFA for nothing you reckon?

I joined the WFA and then realised it wasn't what I was after for researching so cancelled straightaway. They were very obliging and no problems. Fold3 will give you access to WFA documents. I'm not 100% on what the WFA hold and certainly don't want to put you off subscribing to them but Fold3 is pretty comprehensive. 

The free trial offered by Fold3 will give you a good idea as to what data it can access. If I remember rightly you enter you credit card details but nothing is taken out unless you go past the fourteen days and it is very easy to cancel.

Forces War Records also has access to WFA documents.

Ancestry also offer a free trial. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Fold3 is the military subscription offshoot of Ancestry. It contains several datasets. Since Spring 2023 I believe that UK subscribers also get access to the ForcesWarRecords data too. Access to this used to cost USD 79.99 on an annual basis.

Membership of the WFA is a lot less. You get access solely to the pension card and ledger dataset that was saved from the skip by the WFA. You do not need access to Ancestry in order to access this. It is accessed via the WFA website.

In order to entice persons to subscribe, some basic transcription info is available on Ancestry. The idea is that it looks interesting, but if you want to see the image of the document, you will take out a subscription to Fold3.

Thank you lads, much appreciated, let us see how this pans out..

I have emailed the WFA for a refund or clarification and await their reply.

OK guys, I am now logged in and have access to the cards, happy days!!

Thank you all for your patience and kindness.