Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Destremont Farm

David Norman

Afternoon All.

On a recent visit to the Somme, got talking to the farmer who lives at what was Destremont Farm. 

I'll look at 8th York and Lancs attack on 30th September and also have found references to the Canadian Corps and also the 1st 4th Royal Berkshire Regiment being there before they attacked the Butte de Warlencourt,  and also have trench information but my enquiry is if anyone has any other information on Destremont Farm. 

Any information gratefully received. 

Thank you

3 hours ago, David Norman said:
Afternoon All.

On a recent visit to the Somme, got talking to the farmer who lives at what was Destremont Farm. 

I'll look at 8th York and Lancs attack on 30th September and also have found references to the Canadian Corps and also the 1st 4th Royal Berkshire Regiment being there before they attacked the Butte de Warlencourt,  and also have trench information but my enquiry is if anyone has any other information on Destremont Farm. 

Any information gratefully received. 

Thank you

HI David.

Project Gutenberg have 'The War Service of the 1/4 Royal Berkshire Regiment (T. F.)' by Charles Robert Mowbray Fraser Cruttwell https://www.gutenberg.org/files/22028/22028-h/22028-h.htm

It appears the 1st / 4th Royal Berkshire Regiment did visit, or camped at, Destremont Farm in November 1916. This is an excerpt from the fifth paragraph in 'CHAPTER XIII - IN THE SLOUGH OF DESPOND'

'The weary interchange between camp and trench went on for nearly another month. Scotland and Chalk Trenches, the same line which had been taken over after first going forward from Lozenge Wood, were twice revisited. On the second occasion 2nd Lieut. Cawley was kept throughout in Destremont Farm with 20 men, and used entirely for patrol work.'

Not too exciting but maybe of some use.

Gunner 87

25 minutes ago, David Norman said:

Thank you for that information.  Much appreciated. 

David.

Destremont Farm is mentioned in many newspaper articles but I thought to share this piece from 'Globe' 30th September 1916.

If you would like me to look at any other dates relating to the farm then please don't hesitate to ask. Find My Past Newspapers is linked to the British Newspaper Archives. 

Gunner...

CE30741B-BB12-4848-9D1F-1AC1546A5673_4_5005_c.jpeg

12 minutes ago, David Norman said:

That's much appreciated.  Yes to information on any other dates.

Regards

Sent over an article by pm from February 1917 titled 'Fall of Thiepval' which mentions the farm a number of times..... 

• Admin

"Destremont Farm

Destremont Farm is now no more but was on the site of the the modern le Chateau Ferme which is on the the left of the D929 Albert Bapaume Road.  Eaucourt l'Abbaye is due East and the Butte de Warlencourt is to the north east.  The next village is Courcelette to the South West .  The farm was eventually captured on the 29th September early in the morning.  It had been a strongly defended group of buildings and the taking of it assisted in the attack on the Flers line on the left flank.  It had been captured at 5.30a.m. by a company of the 8th Y & L (70th Brigade 23rd Div) who having stormed the Farm buildings had made contact with the Canadians on the left later in the day'

There were assembly trenches behind the farm buildings in October and the farm itself had two large cellars which couldn't be touched by shells, and platoons were able to shelter there."

Extracted from "The Battle of the Somme  - A Topographical History" author Gerald Gladden.

Gunner.

Thank you also for your information Provided.  

Are the historic newspaper articles readily available,  or are they via for e.g ancestry.

Regards 

4 minutes ago, David Norman said:

Gunner.

Thank you also for your information Provided.  

Are the historic newspaper articles readily available,  or are they via for e.g ancestry.

Regards 

I subscribe to Find My Past which has the same records as the British Newspaper Archive. Ancestry also has a newspaper section. Unfortunately all three of these sites a paid. You can search the British Newspaper Archive free of charge but to view a result you need to have credit. Both find My Past and ancestry will also produce results but you must have the right membership to view the page. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Plenty of maps on TrenchMapper. Just put Destremont into Advanced search then use drop down in left panel to see them.

Howard