Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal West Surrey Regiment (Queen's) Interpretation

tomtom

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of help interpreting this medal roll index card. I'd love to find out more about where abouts he served in the War.
Specifically the G/66747, would love to understand where that puts him regiment-wise. If anyone has any info on what that means?

The Victory code as well, I'm guessing E/1/101 B1Y. Not sure if there's anything to take away from that?

If I'm right he earned both The British War Medal and the The Victory Medal.

Orlando Fox.png

• Admin

Welcome to the forum

According to the medal rolls he was in the 1st battalion (image courtesy Ancestry)

image.png

However what is more interesting is that someone with exactly the same name was awarded medals as a result of being a merchant seaman in a theatre of war. 

Medal Card of Fox, Orlando Amedio Mondon Place of Birth: London Date of... | The National Archives (If you register this can be got for free).

Yes that had me confused as well as I had found the record of a merchant seaman. Especially considering it's not a particularly common name. Do you know of any techniques or further records I could look into to try and confirm one or the other?

• Admin

Well the merchant seaman's year and place of birth are known. Perhaps search the birth records of the era to see if there is more than one candidate.

The other option is that he was a seaman in the early years of the war and then was either conscripted or volunteered for the army.

• Admin

A quick look suggests he was born in 1900 (Camden Town) and so would not have been old enough to serve in the army until late war.