Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19/09/1918 CM Sonnenberg Fatally wounded Armstrong-Whitworth FK8 (F7395)

schooner

Good afternoon all,

I was looking for info about a friend's ancestor who had served in the American Civil War when I found a reference to the abovementioned officer who was his son. He was serving with 35 Sqn at the time of his death. Can anyone supply or point me in the right direction to any more information please?

Cheers,

Schooner.

According to "The Sky Their Battlefield Vol 2", Sonnenberg was in combat on 18 Sep while flying a photographic mission.  His observer, 2Lt Clarke, was KIA.  The aircraft departed its base at 10 a.m. and it seems Clarke fell out of the FK8 during the combat. 

There are a couple of possible claims by German pilots that might relate to this event.  Uffz P. Hoettenrauch (name spelled with an umlaut over the first 'u' in the surname which I replaced with 'oe') of Jasta 7 claimed a "possible AW" on this date.  Also Ltn S. Garsztka of Jasta 31 claimed a "possible DH9" at 1150 between Saulcourt and Epehy.  

"Black September 1918" states that Garsztka was the victor over Sonneberg's FK8.  It also notes that Clarke jumped out or was thrown out of the aircraft at an altitude of 2,000 feet when the FK8 was going down in flames.  Sonnenberg survived the crash landing but was badly burned and succumbed to his injuries.  

Edited by Buffnut453