Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Danish bayonet

Ross Graham

Going through the attic prior to the sale of the house belonging to my partner’s mother, we came across this bayonet image.jpeg.4bd7def408494a3e53b84f1b142bd507.jpegMy own web search has shown it to be a 1915 pattern Danish Hærens Tøjhus Krug, Serial No. 110784, with ‘13B. 96.’ stamped at the top on one side, which I believe to be a regimental/battalion identification, and a Danish crown over the figures 17 ( date of manufacture?) on the other. I’d be grateful if anyone could provide any further information. Thanks. 

You pretty much covered it. Good job, on the web., you should be able to find to estimate production run, and I thing a small number had a steel scabbard painted black.       
min WW 2, Germans captured all equipment they could. A much shorter version can sometimes be found with German acceptance stamps, but never heard of the long version like yours, with German stamps. I believe the long ( your) version originally was for carbine, but fits rifle too . Would think actually used on both

This is corectly deciphered as a sword bayonet M1915. the bayonet was used with various type of carbines M1889. Unit is for 13 Batallion as mentioned.

Thanks to you both, the ‘13B’ appears to be ‘The Schleswig Regiment of Foot’ also known at times as the 13th Battalion in the Danish infantry order of march. The history dig has been interesting, thanks again. 
Ross

With strenght of Danish army, i would expect that the number is of rifle/carbine which is continuos string and not as by other states that carbines were serialed in separate string.

Yes, that makes sense. The Serial No is a six-digit purely numerical string. Looking at other Danish army designs, there is no obvious variation in numbering that would indicate a model designation.