Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any ideas on this dated engraved cig case

arantxa

It’s quite big the start date is round the German offensive could it be dates of POW internment or is it German writing these are just my ideas no other marks on case 

45A7EDCE-649B-441E-A018-53A6CB7603D1.jpeg

088E8A73-04D6-4E8B-8045-02A9211944CA.jpeg

CF8A2C4A-4028-4CBA-A319-96983F42D2D9.jpeg

Hi,

My estimate (guess) would be that it commemorated the command of a unit or subunit by an officer or senior appointment during the dates in question. The likelihood is that commander took over during the German March offensive and held command until the Armistice (and likely beyond). However, that could equally be coincidental with a UK-based unit where that command started from this date. Likewise, it could mark the appointment duration of an RSM or even a platoon sergeant depending on who purchased and for whom. 

What level of command (platoon, company, battalion or higher) is unknown and likewise what corps or regiment it involves (infantry to ASC). The parameters are very broad but platoon is unlikely due to a high turnover of men. One solution, looking at the infantry, might be to see what commanding officers were killed, wounded or captured between 21-23 March 1918 (from the CWGC) and Cox's and King's lists and then checking using the war diaries which officer took over from them and whether one had the initials FCF. It's a long brain-intensive task. If infantry COs are exhausted it's then looking at RE, Cavalry and Artillery units and then possibly looking at infantry captains or majors to look at company commanders. Alternatively looking through officer medal rolls for 'FC' initials and then looking at surnames.

There used to be a website listing all commanding officers in the infantry but I fear this is no longer online, which would otherwise have been a great help.

This may be a needle in a haystack...

Kind regards

Colin

Thank you i will take your advice  and follow up those leads

There is also a logic in the pow idea. The dates could be those for which he was a pow.Perhaps the case was 'liberated' in Germany and he had it marked up as a souvenir with the dates he was technically a pow?

Lots of perhaps's!

Anyway I tried a pow search using FindmyPast and capture date 23/3/18 (and 22/3 and 24/3 but nothing) and only one name came up.

972 Frederick C C Furse of the 8th East Surreys. Born 26/11/1897 Leytonstone. A tramway inspector in 1939.

Not convinced but I throw it into the pot. 

His medal index card shows him as MM. But that seems to be crossed out on the 14/15 Roll and I couldn't see any MM index card. 

And sometimes he appears as C F Furse...

Well, I tried!

Thank you ….I hadn’t thought maybe it was a German liberated cigarette case 

Thank you for taking the time to look him up very kind of you