Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battalion South Wales Borders

draperju

Can anyone help me in providing information on the movements of the above battalion during September 1916 They left the somme at end of July entaining at Canadas for St Omer.

Thamk you

draperju

"After a fortnights rest near Bollezeele it (38th Div) had relieved the Fourth Division in the St Julian sector in the middle of August,and but for three weeks in December and January,remained in line till end of April,holding one or other of the Eighth Corps' sectors."

Taken from The History of the South Wales Borderers by C.T. Atkinson.

Regards Doug.

• 5 years later...

Could anyone help me out with the battalions movements for april 1918, in particular around the 26th april 1918,

many thanks in anticipation ,

John.

There's only a small piece in the history covering April 1918-

The 10th S.W.B. also had had quite a satisfactory time since being hurried down to the Ancre to hold the Germans back. It did not go into the front line till the last week of April, though being in support proved anything but a time of idleness, as many carrying parties were called for and the back positions needed much improving and consolidating. When in the line its snipers were extremely active, the Germans, who also were consolidating their positions, giving them many chances. Still the 10th did not escape lightly, its casualties for April coming to nearly 60, including Second Lieutenant A. Morgan and 8 men killed.

I don't know if this helps.

SteveJ.

many thanks Steve, I am researching a young chap who was a former resident of my village in yorkshire :

Name: HARWOOD, OLIVER DUXBURY

Initials: O D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/04/1918

Service No: 48690

Additional information: Son of Oliver Duxbury Harwood and Sarah Harwood, of 125, Moorgate St., Blackburn. Native of Hellifield, Yorks.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 11.

Cemetery: BAGNEUX BRITISH CEMETERY, GEZAINCOURT

He enlisted in the East lancs age 15 years and was discharged after being found out 10 months later, he later rejoined and had sadly only been in France around 6 months before he was killed, he must be one of the eight mentioned. many thanks again for the info,much appreciated.

regards,

John.

No problems John,

I've just looked through my photos from Bagneux to see if I had one of his grave for you, but I've only got the Welsh regiment men there.

It's a pretty picturesque cemetery, along an old railway line, so Oliver would have been transported down there by train from Aveluy.

SteveJ.

Many thanks Steve, I did manage to get a pic from TWGPP,

regards, John.