Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help identifying Uniform and Medal.

Khloe

found this portrait of a solider and would like to see if anyone could identify his uniform and medal.

thank you so much for reading.,

Thank you for reading

image.png.409d5204a6f13e434fab2b8601493a5b.png

6 hours ago, Khloe said:

found this portrait of a solider and would like to see if anyone could identify his uniform and medal.

thank you so much for reading.,

Thank you for reading

image.png.409d5204a6f13e434fab2b8601493a5b.png

Khloe he appears to wear the uniform of an officer of auxiliary (i.e. part time reservist) cavalry.  These men we’re collectively known as Yeomanry.  Yeomanry were civilians who volunteered and usually twice each week attended drills (training) in small barracks called ‘drill halls’ close to their homes (usually walkable or a short bus ride).

To make them appealing the Yeomanry generally had swanky uniforms and because of their volunteer status each unit could choose its own style, although usually modelled on the regular army, but with lots of idiosyncrasies.  There were several types of cavalry and in this case the uniform is modelled on Hussars ** which was originally a Hungarian design featuring a fur cap, and decorative cords (frogging) across the chest, usually of 5 or 6 rows.

The colouring has been done incorrectly by an artist subsequently, as no regiment had the red frogging shown.

However, the thick decorative Austrian style cuff knots and toggle fastening at the front is correct for a junior commissioned officer#.  The medal is most likely for volunteer service, but the ribbon has again been incorrectly depicted. 

The most unusual feature is the deeply curved front with piped edging and this was a unique feature of the Staffordshire Yeomanry (Queen’s Own Royal Regiment).  This suggests it might be the unit being depicted here, albeit with the wrong colouring of the front frogging.  I enclose a picture of a basic private/trooper, who had a simpler, trefoil type cuff knot, but the same curved front.  However there is no guarantee that this is correct due to the differences I’ve mentioned.

I would date your picture to between 1902 and 1908.  Do you have a locality and county that you can associate with the painting?

** the others were Lancers and Dragoons.

# much more elaborate for ascending ranks.

IMG_8577.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

21 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Khloe he appears to wear the uniform of an officer of auxiliary (i.e. part time reservist) cavalry.  These men we’re collectively known as Yeomanry.  Yeomanry were civilians who volunteered and usually twice each week attended drills (training) in small barracks called ‘drill halls’ close to their homes (usually walkable or a short bus ride).

To make them appealing the Yeomanry generally had swanky uniforms and because of their volunteer status each unit could choose its own style, although usually modelled on the regular army, but with lots of idiosyncrasies.  There were several types of cavalry and in this case the uniform is modelled on Hussars ** which was originally a Hungarian design featuring a fur cap, and decorative cords (frogging) across the chest, usually of 5 or 6 rows.

The colouring has been done incorrectly by an artist subsequently, as no regiment had the red frogging shown.

However, the thick decorative Austrian style cuff knots and toggle fastening at the front is correct for a junior commissioned officer#.  The medal is most likely for volunteer service, but the ribbon has again been incorrectly depicted. 

The most unusual feature is the deeply curved front with piped edging and this was a unique feature of the Staffordshire Yeomanry (Queen’s Own Royal Regiment).  This suggests it might be the unit being depicted here, albeit with the wrong colouring of the front frogging.  I enclose a picture of a basic private/trooper, who had a simpler, trefoil type cuff knot, but the same curved front.  However there is no guarantee that this is correct due to the differences I’ve mentioned.

I would date your picture to between 1902 and 1908.  Do you have a locality and county that you can associate with the painting?

** the others were Lancers and Dragoons.

# much more elaborate for ascending ranks.

IMG_8577.jpeg

thank you so much for all this infomation!!

the man in the picture is one of my many times great relatives

who i belive was born and died in Monmouthshire, Wales in 1908 and was born 1828.
I also belive he held the rank of Captain.

Thank you so much

Edited by Khloe

• Admin

As this has been answered and is out of our time period it will be locked.

Members can carry on the conversation via private message if they wish.

• DavidOwen locked this topic