Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Ordnance Survey and the War 1914 - 1919

Dust Jacket Collector

This interesting little volume came my way the other day. It’s a brief survey of O.S. activity during the War years written by its Director at the time, Colonel Sir Charles Arden Close. Full of details on the quantity of maps produced and the staff involved. As you can see it was limited to only 40 copies & this seems to have been the Colonel’s own copy. It seems the Ordnance Survey have dumped their library along with many other institutions. You’d think they might have kept this.IMG_0803.jpeg.cf8f0e75a1181f330d79eb8fbb9f9074.jpegIMG_0804.jpeg.8296647a22c0159b006769165d005cb1.jpegIMG_0805.jpeg.b448b1a4e2001c8beefec94c658a818e.jpeg

That's an unusual find. What search parameters went into that?

41 minutes ago, other ranker said:

That's an unusual find. What search parameters went into that?

Just general war related terms. I’m always surprised by what that turns up.

OS did keep at least one copy. I am the current custodian of copy number 3. I think there is also a copy in the British Library

Wonderful to know that it has wound up in the hands of a person like you @Dust Jacket Collector.  Disappointing to learn that they have disposed of a book like that given Close's contribution to the war effort.  The achievements of the British Army in surveying, mapping, integration of aerial photography and techniques like sound ranging owe a large part of their existence to the skills and cooperation of men like Charles Close, Colonel Jack and LTCOL Winterbotham.

Setting up an efficient distribution mechanism to get over 20 million printed maps to those who needed them and the employment of women in skilled roles were just some of the highlights.  The Last Hundred Days, when artillery barrages were launched at targets identified from accurately surveyed maps rather than firing and adjusting prior to troop movements, was also a testament to the skills obtained under the work of this team.

Looking at the Charles Close Society web site, they have a Show and Tell on the 8th July at Highgate.  I'm sure they would be interested in your acquisition!

Good find!

I have posted the pictures on the Charles Close Facebook page.

It’s a very nice book and thank good it’s gone to a very good home. It does not surprise me, yet another library being sold off. Recently I got a very rare ww2 official history and that was the admiralty library reference copy, it’s just wrong

24 minutes ago, MartH said:

It’s a very nice book and thank good it’s gone to a very good home. It does not surprise me, yet another library being sold off. Recently I got a very rare ww2 official history and that was the admiralty library reference copy, it’s just wrong

Indeed. I suspect they’ll all regret it in the end. Maybe when we’re all gone our collections will find their way back to the libraries they originally came from - but not just yet!

Ok, I know its a little off topic but recently a set of these was up for sale - the oldest official British issued stereoviews I have ever seen - I wonder if they were also ejected from the library.

OrdnanceSurveyofSinai-2Front.jpg.bf10c23d3c899c146bff762ad26d2039.jpg

OrdnanceSurveyofSinai-2Back.jpg.881bd470383157337ddfd3825f61ddd0.jpg

2 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Ok, I know its a little off topic but recently a set of these was up for sale - the oldest official British issued stereoviews I have ever seen - I wonder if they were also ejected from the library.

OrdnanceSurveyofSinai-2Front.jpg.bf10c23d3c899c146bff762ad26d2039.jpg

OrdnanceSurveyofSinai-2Back.jpg.881bd470383157337ddfd3825f61ddd0.jpg

A bit more off topic.

The photograph is the work of Colour Sergeant James McDonald RE, standing by the theodolite, who was one of the pioneers of photography at Ordnance Survey. An album containing 41 of his photographs was on sale for €22,500.00. James had a private audience with Queen Victoria in 1872 after The Queen expressed a wish to meet the artist who produced so many beautiful photographs of Sinai and Jerusalem. At the time of his death, in 1885, James was living at Sinai Villa, Lodge Road, Southampton. It is estimated 200 staff from Ordnance Survey attended his funeral. James is buried in the Old Cemetery in Southampton.
https://www.foldvaribooks.com/.../photo-album-of... 

See less

8 hours ago, SapperBoo said:

A bit more off topic.

The photograph is the work of Colour Sergeant James McDonald RE, standing by the theodolite, who was one of the pioneers of photography at Ordnance Survey. An album containing 41 of his photographs was on sale for €22,500.00. James had a private audience with Queen Victoria in 1872 after The Queen expressed a wish to meet the artist who produced so many beautiful photographs of Sinai and Jerusalem. At the time of his death, in 1885, James was living at Sinai Villa, Lodge Road, Southampton. It is estimated 200 staff from Ordnance Survey attended his funeral. James is buried in the Old Cemetery in Southampton.
https://www.foldvaribooks.com/.../photo-album-of... 

See less

Great information - thank you. I think the combined value of all the stereoviews sold was £500-600 so someone got a bargain