Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anson Bn

NR72

Hi all I am researching a AB Daniel Shackler Anson Bn 

I have his service docs , I know he served at Gallipoli,  Salonika  and the Western front 

I am after any information which might indicate which company he was in , or indeed anything of use 

Company Muster rolls would be great especially A company

Thanks 

Edited by NR72
More info

The first line of his ADM 339 record is hard to read but I think it is "3.11.14  Joined Anson Battalion   A/240   Rating O.S.".  That shows he was (initially at least) in 'A' Company. This is confirmed by other Anson 'KP' entries around the same date.

ANSON Bn. (with No.3 Field Coy RNDE) left Mudros for Stavros on 20 February 1916. They returned to Mudros from Stavros on 2 April.

Two Coys of ANSON Bn. were embarked in MINNEWASKA at Mudros, sailing on 15 May, arriving Marseilles on 20 May, de-training at PONT REMY  and going into billets at AIRAINES on 22 May 1916. They had been preceeded by one day by the other two ANSON Coys sailing in HMT ARAGON.

After invaliding to UK in 1918 he was first drafted to the RND Regimental Depot at Salamanca Barracks, Aldershot, and then on to the RND Command Depot at Perham Down, Andover, Hants. for re-training and rehab. He eventually returned to ANSON in the BEF via 2nd Reserve Bn. RND which was based at Badajos Barracks, Aldershot.

His enlistment papers , AFB.103 and other papers are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Edited by horatio2

Thanks Horatio , I'm trying to find out if he was at V beach for the Gallipoli landings or W Beach. 

I know there was a detachment of Ansons on the Clyde 

Be great to find any company lists etc 

The SS RIVER CLYDE party was No.13 Platoon of 'D'Coy ANSON Bn. (OC Sub Lt TISDALL)

Assuing AB SHACKLER was in 'A'Coy, he could have been in one of two ANSON parties: either No.4 Platoon (OC Sub Lt JC DENHOLM) landed by boats at 'V' Beach with 3 Coys 1/RDF;  or Nos. 1, 2 or 3 Platoonswhich were landed by boat at 'W' Beach late morning (OC 'A' Coy Lt Cdr McKIRDY).

8 hours ago, NR72 said:

Be great to find any company lists etc 

Indeed. However, I have never sighted such a list, which, given the tasks of 'A' Coy, would need to be down to platoon level to answer your question.

Edited by horatio2

Hi all

Does anyone know if the Company Muster rolls , for Gallipoli or indeed the Western front are available anywhere ?

@NR72 - there is no specific mention of Daniel Shackler, but you may find it interesting to pick out ANSON's movements from this sequence of articles (Ctrl-S for search will work on a pdf, at least on my version).

History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division - Arthur Gaskell.pdf

Best wishes,

seaJane

Edited by seaJane