Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mess Tin

battle of loos

Good evening,

What is the model of this individual bowl.
What is more than the current model is the number of additional passers-by.

2 passers (front & back)

gamelleD(1).JPG.e6dd36574cdaa79b0819b2606571a0f3.JPG

2 passers-by (front & back) + 2 additional passers-by (1 on each side)

BritishMessTinpat(2).JPG.1ff9e202c26c951ec714d176000d12ef.JPG

thank's for your help.

regards

michel

• 5 weeks later...

The two loops fitted to the side of the pan identify the (relic) mess-tin as a component of the 1870 Pattern Valise Equipment. The pattern initially appeared in the 1874 edition of Fitting Valise Equipment. The side loops were to enable the tin to be strapped to the valise without the use of a cover. In 1878 the two side loops were removed, one was added to the back of the pan and an oilskin cover was provided. In this form it continued in service until after the Great War. At some point following the end of the war the front and back loops were also deleted with the tin continuing in service until the late 1930's.

Pete

source - Soldiers Accoutrements of the British Army 1750-1900, Pierre Turner 

mess tin 1870.JPG

Good evening
wonderful.
A big thank you for your detailed answer and in pictures.

michel

6 hours ago, Pete_C said:

The two loops fitted to the side of the pan identify the (relic) mess-tin as a component of the 1870 Pattern Valise Equipment. The pattern initially appeared in the 1874 edition of Fitting Valise Equipment. The side loops were to enable the tin to be strapped to the valise without the use of a cover. In 1878 the two side loops were removed, one was added to the back of the pan and an oilskin cover was provided. In this form it continued in service until after the Great War. At some point following the end of the war the front and back loops were also deleted with the tin continuing in service until the late 1930's.

Pete

source - Soldiers Accoutrements of the British Army 1750-1900, Pierre Turner 

mess tin 1870.JPG

Pete - it's worth noting that the deletion of the two side loops on the mess tins doesn't appear to have been universally adopted throughout Britains colonies. Canada in particular seems to have manufactured them with the two loops right up until the end of the war (as per this 1918 example from my collection):

Tin 2 (1).JPG

Tin 2 (2).JPG

Tin 2 (3).JPG

Edited by Andrew Upton

15 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Pete - it's worth noting that the deletion of the two side loops on the mess tins doesn't appear to have been universally adopted throughout Britains colonies. Canada in particular seems to have kept manufactured them with the two loops right up until the end of the war (as per this 1918 example from my collection):

Tin 2 (1).JPG

Tin 2 (2).JPG

Tin 2 (3).JPG

That’s interesting Andrew, I wasn’t aware of that. It was only after posting that it occurred to me that an 1870 Pattern British tin, while having the side loops, should not also have a loop on the back, as is evident on the relic tin. On that basis I’d suggest the relic is more likely of Canadian / Colonial origin

Pete

Edited by Pete_C

good morning,

Indeed, the sector from which it comes, did see the Canadians pass through in 1917.
Thanks again for your help and explanations.

michel