Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

were names painted?

hannah

Are the names on all CWGC memorials just etched or on some,are the outlines of the letters emphasised by black paint? Someone told me that when the paint needed to be renewed, tissue paper would be pasted over the panels of the memorial and then in some way ignited - the only parts of the paper which burned were the parts over the letters where oxgen had been trapped. This created a stencil and paint was sprayed over it to mark the letters and the tissue paper which remained was peeled off.

Did this happen - or am I just naive

Hannah

You are essentially correct about some memorials.

Some of the CWGC memorials have names simply carved into them. Others have names moulded on bronze panels or etched into brass. However a few (including the Menin Gate) have them 'painted' in for clarity due to their size.

The process you describe was used originally on the Menin Gate and is well described in the book 'The Unending Vigil'. The system was invented by an IWGC employee and it avoided the need to handpaint 72000 names. I am not sure whether the system is still in use when it comes to renovation.

I will try to show images of the actual procedure. I emphasise TRY ;) .

First the panels are covered with a kind of wallpaper.

post-19-1056111532.jpg

The "wallpaper" gets all the air out of between paper and panel. However the names are engraved so there is still air in between names and paper. With a burner the paper is burned away from the names.

post-19-1056111681.jpg

Finally the names are spayed with black colours. The paper is taken away and this is the result. Very good if you ask me.

post-19-1056111773.jpg

I have always thought the pictures sent to NOK were made clearer in some way. This stone appears painted.

John

post-19-1056112970.jpg

Jacky

I agree with Garth, you have illustrated how the process works very clearly with your photographs. Thank you.

Myrtle