Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skinner, Thomas Edward. Manchester Reg. died P.O.W. hospital, 29 September 1918 at Le Cateau

susantydd

Hi, looking to see if anyone has any info on this man please.  Thomas Edward Skinner,  Lance Corporal Manchester Regiment 202179.  Prisoners effects record on Ancestry does note that he is a German POW and in hospital.  There is also a memorial headstone attached to his family grave plot in Swinton, Manchester.  I'm struggling to find anything relating to the date he became a POW and why he was hospitalised.  If anyone could help.  I have an Ancestry account and have found his life details before the war so all that is covered.  Thankyou. 

WFA/Fold 3 pension index cards record that he died from Influenza

His mother Mrs R SKINNER lived at 165 Swinton Hall Rd, Swinton, Manchester

M

Aside: the Fold3 transcribers/indexers on one card had him down as being in the Mount Currie Reserves [Ever heard of them? Me neither] - Bless Fold3 continuing the Ancestry tradition! :D:(  Now corrected BTW.

Thankyou for the replies, it is very much appreciated.  Attached are photos of the family grave with his memorial stone in front.   Coincidentally just a couple of rows in front of the family grave is the grave of another local soldier who had been discharged from the army some time previously and died early 1919 from Influenza, sadly his wife was too poorly to attend his funeral and she passed away a couple of days later.  

P1190194.JPG

P1190195.JPG

P1190197.JPG

any info on the card with regards to regiment

as the 2nd/5th manchesters  which he is listed as being in cwgc

was disbanded in july 1918 ????

trevor

M/C Regt the Fold3 transcribers/indexers on one card had him down as being in the Mount Currie Reserves [Ever heard of them? Me neither] - Bless Fold3 continuing the Ancestry tradition! :D:(  Now corrected BTW.

Manchester Regiment - no Bn given

M

• 1 month later...

This is a great uncle of mine. My grandmother was his sister. I have been to his grave on France many years ago & have a photograph of the headstone. I have not seen the gravestones in Swinton. I am interested to know why Ted has been searched for by someone unknown to me or my family

Hi Susan,

I am part of the Friends Of Salford Cemeteries Trust and live close to Swinton cemetery.  I do a lot of research in the cemetery of all graves not just those with a war connection.  All war graves and related graves need remembering, there are not always family still living to keep the memory alive.  I did a little walk around/ tour a couple if weeks ago with a group of local people.  The family grave I included as it is very close to the first burial in the cemetery and a couple more interesting graves.   I was interested to know more about Thomas and this is the perfect website to ask for help.   If you want to see the family grave as you go in through the main gates on cemetery road begin to walk up the main driveway, quite soon on your right you will see a quite elaborate headstone for mr and mrs critchely that shows two small images of them and a wonderful inscription on the reverse.   A couple of rows to the rear of this stone and slightly to the right you will find your family grave and the memorial stone for Thomas.   I’m also a volunteer for the CWWG and cover Swinton Cemetery. 

Edited by susantydd