Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI Group Photos

RichardH

I've just got some photos of a newly discovered distant ancestor (My grandads Uncle)- he was in the 1/4 KOYLI, and dicharged late 1918 after being gassed in 1917 and had his lung removed- he lived to the 1960s)- just wondered if any Pals can shed any more light or add comments?

Hes the guy on the far left of this photo here-

He kept a diary as well according to his daughter, who kindly copied some entries- but very brief and to the point! For example, "Saturday July 1st,1916. A.W. Big Push Commenced"...

Thanks

Richard

post-3050-1113127384.jpg

Another one...

post-3050-1113127435.jpg

And finally- hes sitting crossed legged at the front in the middle-

post-3050-1113127500.jpg

Oh and his name was Joseph Arnold Sadler (no 2945)-

Just bringing this up again if anyone cares to add anything???

Regards

R

• 1 month later...

Not a sausage from anyone- so I thought I'd bring the post up for one last try :)

Regards

Richard

Richard,

The first photograph was taken in 1916 or later, as two of the men have wound stripes on their left sleeves which were introduced that year.

In the second photograph Joseph Sadler wears a leather P14 belt which would suggest that he served in either a Territorial or Service Battalion. But you know that already!

Not much else to add I'm afraid!

Regards

Gavin

Not much to say except that he appears to be a Staff Sergeant in the KOYLI! There`s an unusual looking guy at back right in the 3rd photo. Can`t imagine what he was. Phil B

The chest protector(?) & stick would tend to indicate that you`re right. Interesting headwear though! Phil B

I've seen photos of men wearing a form headgear for bayonet training that looks like a fencing mask. This man looks like he's improvised however. Possibly in the kitchen?!

Gavin