Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great grandfathers NOK

michellemcleod

I know my great grandfather died on the HMS Hythe 28/10/1915 thanks to some very helpful forum members in here, and I can only thank them a million times before they get big heads *lol* kidding....seriously thankyou!

Anyway, looking up the regiment he served for 1st/3rd Kent Coy, Royal Engineers, I found that those that were listed as missing in action or other (see link http://www.roll-of-honour.com) had information relating to their family (ie NOK or parents names)

I'd dearly love to locate my g/grandfathers (Percy Robert Hunts) parents names that might connect him to them.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than applying for his birth certificate, then death certificate...This also raises another question also, would he have a death certificate?

Chelle

You could try finding him on the online 1901 census via The National Records or Family Record Office websites. If you find him then you would have to buy some credits (about £5 minimum) and that would allow you to see the household. This is presuming he would have been living with his parents and siblings in 1901.

Chelle

Have you an approx birthdate or how old your great grandfather was in 1901,I have a couple of possibles but I need to be sure before posting the info for you.

RegardsDoug

Chelle,

I posted these on your Introductions Topic, "Just an Aussette", but you might have missed them...

from the BMD list

Catherine Elizabeth Hiscutt, born June quarter (ie Apr, May or Jun) 1886, London City, Middlesex, Birth Cert reference 1c-10.

Percy Robert Hunt, born March quarter 1883, Wandsworth (includes Battersea sub-district), cert ref 1d-684.

From 1901 Census

Living in Battersea, 149 Stewarts Road.

Percy R Hunt, born Battersea, age 18, Son of Head of family, Printer layer on.

John W Hunt, born New Zealand, age 24, Son of Head of family, Shoeing farrier.

Mary A Prior, born Wandsworth, Widow, age 59, Head of Family, Laundry Washer.

Would these fit the age of your GGF Percy?

However : There is another Percy Hunt, born Battersea, age 14 on the 1901 Census, but this fits with a Percy Horace Hunt, born June quarter 1886, Wandsworth.

Edit:

1891 Census - 71 Sterndale Road (?), Battersea

William Prior, 65, Carriage Painter, born Guildford, Surrey

Mary Prior, 48, born Clapham, Surrey

John W Hunt, 13, born Wellington, New Zealand

Percy R Hunt, 8, born Battersea, London.

Mary seems to have remarried somewhere between 1883 and 1891.

1881 Census - 70 Dashwood Road, Battersea.

Mary Ann Hunt, 38, born Clapham, Surrey

Jessie Hunt (fem), 9, born Clapham Surrey

Rosa E Hunt, 6, born Wellington, New Zealand

John W Hunt, 3, born Wellington, New Zealand

Steve.

Chelle

Have you an approx birthdate or how old your great grandfather was in 1901,I have a couple of possibles but I need to be sure before posting the info for you.

RegardsDoug

Doug, I know he was 32 when he drowned on the HMS Hythe, so was born 1883

Chelle,

I posted these on your Introductions Topic, "Just an Aussette", but you might have missed them...

from the BMD list

Catherine Elizabeth Hiscutt, born June quarter (ie Apr, May or Jun) 1886, London City, Middlesex, Birth Cert reference 1c-10.

Percy Robert Hunt, born March quarter 1883, Wandsworth (includes Battersea sub-district), cert ref 1d-684.

From 1901 Census

Living in Battersea, 149 Stewarts Road.

Percy R Hunt, born Battersea, age 18, Son of Head of family, Printer layer on.

John W Hunt, born New Zealand, age 24, Son of Head of family, Shoeing farrier.

Mary A Prior, born Wandsworth, Widow, age 59, Head of Family, Laundry Washer.

Would these fit the age of your GGF Percy?

However : There is another Percy Hunt, born Battersea, age 14 on the 1901 Census, but this fits with a Percy Horace Hunt, born June quarter 1886, Wandsworth.

Edit:

1891 Census - 71 Sterndale Road (?), Battersea

William Prior, 65, Carriage Painter, born Guildford, Surrey

Mary Prior, 48, born Clapham, Surrey

John W Hunt, 13, born Wellington, New Zealand

Percy R Hunt, 8, born Battersea, London.

Mary seems to have remarried somewhere between 1883 and 1891.

1881 Census - 70 Dashwood Road, Battersea.

Mary Ann Hunt, 38, born Clapham, Surrey

Jessie Hunt (fem), 9, born Clapham Surrey

Rosa E Hunt, 6, born Wellington, New Zealand

John W Hunt, 3, born Wellington, New Zealand

Steve.

Yes these dates do appear to match on with my great grandfather, he was born in 1883 in Wandsworth...Stepie I had seen your earlier post and must please ignorance as well as forgiveness as I brushed it aside thinking no way was I as an Aussie going to live it down if I had Kiwi blood *lol* kidding everyone!!!

But one thing I noted in the 1881 Census, there is no Head of Household for me to tell what Peryc's fathers name may have been before mary remarried William Prior...I would hope the same man who siered John, Rosa and Jessie was the same father of my great grandfather Percy and can only think he must have died during this time for her to remarry...or was she married at all and the children took on their mothers name only (although I doubt it as in those days it was all so tabu)

William Prior married Mary Jane Hunt in the June quarter of 1885 in Wandsworth. Volume 1d, Page 1100 for the certificate.

It is interesting to note that on the 1881 census, Mary Jane Hunt is recorded as being a widow, and yet Percy Hunt was born 2 years later.

I think it would be worthwhile to get the birth certificate and see who is recorded as being the father.

This echoes my own family tree, where I found that my ggmother was a widow in 1891 and yet my grandfather was born in 1895.

Thanks, Stephen

I have already PM'd Chelle with the info and the same recommendation.

That's the trouble with PMs. No-one know what has been done!

She may not to have Kiwi blood in her veins, so I think she'll recover from the shock.

Steve.

Thanks, Stephen

I have already PM'd Chelle with the info and the same recommendation.

That's the trouble with PMs. No-one know what has been done!

She may not to have Kiwi blood in her veins, so I think she'll recover from the shock.

Steve.

LOL@ u guys, what lovely senses of humour you have, and yeah it is interesting re the date Percy was born...I am very keen to know his fathers name, if indeed it is recorded on his birth certificate.....Sometimes being in Australia the wait for a certificate is so long, sigh but oh so worth it....I'll let you know how it pans out.

Chelle