Name: SPRACKLIN

Initials: E J

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Bayano."

Date of Death: 11/03/1915

Service No: 1113X

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In North-East part.

Cemetery: BALLYHALBERT (ST. ANDREW) CHURCH OF IRELAND CHURCHYARD

IMG_1264.jpg

• 1 year later...

I noticed the comment from 'Northern Soul' 10 Apr 2005 that he has seen only one photo of Bayano.

This thread is now rather old, but if anyone is still looking and is interested, I have three different photos of Bayano:-

In a small booklet about Fyffes Line called History of the Banana Fleet, there is a photo of Bayano(1) (apparently prior to

WW1) and of Bayano(2) in dazzle camouflage.I also have an unused Postcard showing RMS Bayano(2). I think that the card is of about 1926 vintage.

It has "McKenna, Avonmouth" stamped on the back.

I would be glad to scan and provide copies if anyone is really interested in these!

The reason I think that the Postcard is of about 1926 vintage is that my father had been on Tankers up to then (he was finally Chief Officer on the British Princess until

mid 1925), and was then looking for a position on one of the Elders and Fyffes ships. They had no vacancies at the time, and he joined the Orient Line instead, and spent

a number of years travelling to and from Australia in their ships, mostly on Oronsay.

"electronicsengineer'

2 May 2011

• 11 months later...

I appreciate that your post is over a year old, but your friend may be interested in getting in touch with me re the Bayano. My grandfathers youngest brother was lost in the Bayano, and I have inherited a wealth of original material gathered by his sister. I have added to this and would be pleased to share any material that woud be helpful

Neil Bailey

I am researching my family tree and have just found out that my Grt Grt Uncle Clifford Walter Peake died aboard the HMS Bayano. I downloaded his record from the Military Death Roll and it states that his body was never recovered and the location of his grave unknown. Obviously there would not be an actual grave but surely there would be a headstone erected somewhere in memorial? Do you know where i should start looking or who i should ask? I also downloaded his Service Record from the National Archive. It was so interesting, i now know my Uncles build, height and that he had a mole on his right shoulder!

I would really be interested in finding out as much as i can about him, as his story doesnt seem to have been passed through the family which is a great shame.

If you could give me a helping hand Neil i would be most grateful.

Thepanesars,

Here is your great-great-uncle's entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's website:

"Peake, Clifford Walter

Service No: Bristol 3/1334

Date of Death: 11/03/1915

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

H.M.S. "Bayano."

Panel Reference 8.

Memorial PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Additional information: Son of James Ashman Peake and Sarah Peake, of 2, The Firs, Clandown, Radstock, Somerset."

I live about 25 miles from Radstock so may be able to get to the church and see if he has a memorial there: otherwise, as you see, he is on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.

Oh my goodness, i cannot thank you enough for that. I was so pleased and excited. Thank you very much. x

Here's someone else's picture of panel 8 of the Plymouth memorial - look about half way down the right hand side: http://www.webrarian.co.uk/rnwm/008.jpg - and a picture of the memorial in context of the site here: http://www.webrarian.co.uk/rnwm/.

• 1 month later...

Here is a memorial with the name of Petty Officer Philip Beer(e), H.M.S. Bayano, in St. George's Church, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin. His wife was from Balbriggan.

Michael

BEER, PHILIP

Rank: Petty Officer 2nd Class Service No: 173325 Date of Death: 11/03/1915 Age: 38 Regiment/Service: Royal Navy H.M.S. "Bayano." Panel Reference 7. Memorial PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of the late James and Mary Beer, of Weymouth; husband of Alice Beer, of 12, North Quay, Weymouth, Dorset, late of H.M. Coastguard Station, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin.

post-3328-0-67049300-1339618691_thumb.jp

• 9 months later...

I know this discussion took place some time ago but I am now researching my family tree and my great-grandfather James Brown (149118) also died on the HMS Bayano. I have his Certificate of Service, birth and marriage certificates and have managed to get a photo of the memorial plaque at Portsmouth sent to me. I would love to see a photo of him or find out any more information I can about him. I know that is unlikely but I have already learned a lot by reading this forum!

• 1 year later...

I have a distant relative died on the Bayano, John Frederick Christian Chant RMLI, I would be interested if anyone has anything at all about him. I know his family lived in Portsmouth and he is commemorated on the Portsmouth memorial,

Gary

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi

I know this is an old post but came across this while trying to find information regarding my great great granddad George Henry Absalom who perished on the sinking of the Bayano.  I noticed in this post that Mark from London was researching him.  I don't know how to message Mark myself as new to the forum but wondered if he could message me with a hope to share the information he found out.

If you click on Mark's profile name one of the options in the resulting display will be an envelope icon for message sending. 

Hope that helps.

Here is what Arno Spindler wrote about the Bayano attack:  Bayano2.jpg.7cd0c4c6830c5fa0a8147949af551851.jpg

Bayano1.jpg

Edited by Hyacinth1326
'Der Handelskrieg mit U-booten'

• 9 months later...

I posted in 2013 about my great grandfather, James Brown, who was an armourer on the HMS Bayano when it sank and he was killed. I have continued to try to find information about him and now my sister has given me photos of his medals, some documents and what we think is a photo of him. However, my great-grandfather's number was 149118 on all documents. This photo has a different number on the back and I am not sure how it relates.  Perhaps it isn't him but I feel that it is.  I am uploading the photos and numbers here and hope that someone might shine some light on this for me?

IMG_3096.JPG.4e577e7d176d524abe021e64d925479e.JPGIMG_3097.JPG.bd739a154ea064c94c6167dc86600a80.JPG

Not much help, I'm afraid. The cap tally is almost unreadable (HMS TE......??? - possible TERRIBLE??? James Brown served in TERRIBLE  briefly in 1911 when she was an accommodation ship at Portsmouth.)

The seven numbers on the back I find meaningless - 7438535 (if I read correctly) cannot be an RN Official Number, which never exceeds six numbers before 1908 and, thereafter only have up to six numbers with a prefix branch letter.

I note that the rating is wearing only a moustache (no beard), which was not allowed by King's Regulations . The exception to the rule was men of the Royal Naval Reserve carrying out their annual training in peacetime. They were not required to shave off but could retain their civilian face-fungus.

Edited by horatio2

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for the information. He did serve on the Terrible I believe so that certainly makes sense.

Interesting about the moustache 😁

I wonder what the numbers mean.

regards,

lynn

19 minutes ago, PhilB said:

I see James Brown is listed as Armourer and Pensioner - what does the Pensioner bit mean?

He was discharged to pension in May1911 and was recalled on the ourbreak of WW1. He was, therefore, a serving pensioner.

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

He was discharged to pension in May1911 and was recalled on the ourbreak of WW1. He was, therefore, a serving pensioner.

Thanks. I can only see three other pensioners in the list so presumably there weren’t many of them recalled?

Or maybe they tended to be shore based?

Edited by PhilB

On being discharged to pension after 21 years' service, an RN pensioner had the option of joining the Royal Fleet Reserve (Class 'A') which entailed annual training and liability to mobilisation.There were eleven RFR 'A' pensioners in BAYANO. However, even if they were not in the RFR, all RN pensioners were laible to recall. The former are recorded under their RFR 'A' number, the latter are just noted as (Pens).

Many (older) pensioners (RFR or not) were indeed employed ashore to release younger serving ratings for the Fleet.